Oriskany going down...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SheetWise, May 25, 2006.

1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Another fine British concept - we used a frigate, (HMS SCYLLA) with just about as much controvesy! The concept is brilliant but it don't do a lot for the ex crews (especially when they sink that fast!!)

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

We were supposed to get that ship, all the work was done here to ready her for sinking, but we got beat out by bigger bucks in Florida, if you can imagine that. There goes my dive boat...:(

4. safewalrus

Hey Corpus I wouldn't worry too much, there's bound to be plenty more where that come from! The old scylla back here is proving to be a great idea! your carrier looks even better No doubt now it's caught on there'll be more lining up just looking for somewhere to sink! the seabed will be beach to beach sunken ships! . . . . . .until some stupid idiot decides to drown himself when they put one into too damn close and any fool can dive on it in schnorkel gear! At the moment they out deep enough so only divers can get down to them but you know it's going to happen! Then there will be hell to pay!!! until then enjoy!

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Will it be snorkeling attraction? Can we actually allowed to dive , or it is too deep?:)

6. yipster

yipster designer

7. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

I served on the "Big O's" sister ship, the Hornet (CVS-12) from '61 to '64 starting when I was just 17 years old. Looking at those pictures was gut-wrenching. Like seeing an old friend get violently torn apart.

Silly, I know.

Bill

8. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

What was that tiny 'noah's ark' doing on deck? A survival test, perhaps?

9. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

No, that carries a generator and the electronics necessary to detonate the explosives.
    Robert Gainer

1 person likes this.
  10. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

It is shallow enough to dive at least the upper structure/ hangar deck. Part of the prep work they did here was to enlarge some doorways, etc. to allow divers easy access.

11. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Thanks, Robert. I was really curious.

12. safewalrus

BillyDoc - like I said it don't do a lot for the ex crews but what do we matter? One good thing with the British Navy is they still use old ships to test weapons against but now they remove all sources of name before sinking it! So you don't normally know (except of course for a job like this were all the unfeeling media people like to make a buck or two at others expense!

Yes buddy I know how you feel, like doing the dirty to an old friend!

the walrus:(

13. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Alwsome, did sink something that big on purpose.

14. safewalrus

Mayfly they been sinking things that big for ages, just that the old ways ways it was the enemy who did the sinking, now we do it to ourselves!:rolleyes:

Join the Navy, cut out the middle man and sink your own ship! can't see it catching on! Don't think governments can really affordit (and what happened to the ditching at sea thing anyway?):D :p

15. safewalrus

bad news

It had to happen, we just killed our first diver on the scylla - reef, bends apparantly D.O.A. hospital Take care there people, just 'cos it's man made don't cancel the risks:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.