Velvet Drive Linkage and Prop shaft leak

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by suprasport, Sep 6, 2006.

1. suprasport

suprasport SUPRASport

I have a 82 Supra Sport with 350 PCM motor, and a 1:1 velvet drive tranny.

I just did a complete Stringer and Floor replacement. And on our first water test only incountered a few issues. And I could sure use some help.(This is my first inboard)

Problem 1. I have water leaking in through cord seal on prop shaft I know I need to adjust the bolt around the shaft, but I dont know the proper method.

Problem 2. The shift linkage is out of adjustment and is hammering into gear at about 3000 rpm's. Now I did mark the location of the pin on the threads of the cable before I removed the motor. But I had not ever driven this boat prior to disassembly so it may have already been out of alignment. I was able to get the boat to go forward at about 1000 rpm's but it would then need 3000 to 3500 for reverse :)!: clunk :!: )I only tried that once btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
    Thanks in advance
    DREW

Attached Files:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You shaft may drip a bit--this is ok. The shaft should not be tight and you should always be able to turn it by hand. The two bolts should have lock nuts on them, thiten the nuts up evenly bit by bit only slight pressure should be applied if it will not stop leaking then you need to re pack. As the boat is tralerable this is not difficult. If there is a grease nipple grease it

Your cable can not move far enough to operate both forward and reverse, you may have got the inner cable in the wrong hole on the gearbox selector arm, ie by reducing leverage you will increase travel. Or the cable has gone stiff in age and is not getting full travel required.

3. suprasport

suprasport SUPRASport

I did not mess with the selector arm placement trying to avoid this problem but i will check to see if that makes a difference

thanks
    drew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.