Origin of the "RAID" concept for small boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by buzzman, Dec 26, 2019.

1. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

G'day all!

It's long been held that the concept of the 'raid' began as a French concept, and the term has some currency in 20thC French military and later sporting activities. I understand the Paris-Dakar began as a 'raid' on Morocco and Nth Africa.

Subsequently, the term has morphed into a descriptor for 'small boat events', often of an endurance nature, but not necessarily.

My question - for the global (but especially French) boating universe is this: what is the history of the usage of the term, from a French perspective?

Anyone care to comment?

Seeking enlightenment, not argument.... :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

3. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Good idea, will do.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What is the "RAID concept for small boats" ? Knowing that might help find the origins ! :)

5. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Well, it's more about the "raid concept" itself, not especially as it applies to boats.

For example, the locla Renault and Peugeot car clubs frequently have events that they call "raids" - apparently becasue the "raid" is a "french thing".

What I'm after is how that usage came into being.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Never heard of it. Is it something like a rally ?

7. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

RAID or raid?

8. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Well, it can be either lower case or sentence case. Upper case is also an acronym for something else...

Basically it's like a rally, but normally there is a definite element of Point A to Point B, and possibly back to Point A.

From what I've been able to determine it's more of an anarchic Nike moment "let's do it, now"!

But most seem to have some level of organisation, usually by one or more individuals, who call on all those with a similar interest (in Peugeot cars, or small boats) to go "here" at a certain time and date.

Essentially just a "fun" thing rather than a "competition" thing, I gather.

But as all the French car guys have used it for years there's this assumption that it's origins are French.

That's what I'm trying to determine...or nt, as the case may be.

Maybe it's a Anglo-French thing...??? I really don't know.

Our local Sydney-based "sailing raiders" are small dinghy sailors - like Mirrors and up - who just announce on a FB page that someone is planning to go here and then there on a certain day and time and invite others to join in.

Apparently there are other similar groups around the traps.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Google, Wikipedia, any English Dictionary,... can help you.
    I do not think it is a French term, at all, but rather an English term adopted, with different meanings perhaps not very appropriate, by other languages.

10. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Yes, that's kind of what I'm looking for...so how come it came to be adopted in France..??

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know. Perhaps because of the "raids" of English aviation over France and Germany in World War II.

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member

raid (n.)
    early 15c., "mounted military expedition," Scottish and northern English form of rade "a riding, journey," from Old English rad "a riding, ride, expedition, journey; raid," (see road). The word died out by 17c., but was revived by Scott ("The Lay of the Last Minstrel," 1805), ("Rob Roy," 1818), with extended sense of "attack, foray."

raid (v.)

"take part in a raid," 1785 (implied in raiding), from raid (n.). Related: Raided; raiding. Also see raider.

13. The Q

The Q Senior Member

There a group which includes home boat builders in the UK who go on raids a couple of times a year, normally nothing much above 20ft. We had them come through our reggata week one year which was interesting, approx 100 boats in the regatta from Oppis to 40ft Broads cruisers and then this group about of small boats decide to sail through...

The English Raid https://www.raidengland.org/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.