Origami steel yacht construction

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by origamiboats, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Huh? You TACK together the hull in that time. You don't finish-weld it. You also have zero internal structure to hang stuff off of. I, OTOH, have completed frames pre-drilled and ready to bolt my interior to.

Now as to the rest:

Build a jig. There isn't one.

Set up the frames on a jig. Doesn't happen. The frames go on the floors which are welded to the FINISHED keel assembly.

Bend the longitudinals. Well seeing as the frames are ALREADY slotted for the longs in all the correct places (because the designer's plans tell me where to put the slots), this really is a matter of welding 2 lengths of 32x6 flat bar together to get the correct length, fitting them in the notches, clamping in place and tacking. It really doesn't take very long.

Now, templating, cutting and fitting the hull plate does take a while, that's true. But in this design once that's done, you're pretty much finished with the steel work except for mooring bitts and the like.

In comparison, all you've got done to date is TACKING the hull together with no interior structure. Not the same thing at all. Tell us how long the owner takes to get a hull totally finish-welded. You're attempting an apples with oranges comparison again.

As far as I can tell from reading your self-promotion, you've only ever actually built 2 boats in your life. The first one which you didn't like and didn't sail well for you, and the 31' vessel you currently own. All you've done since is TACK TOGETHER hulls for other people and then walk away from them. That is not building a boat.

Bloody hell, if I was up to hull number 30 of the design I'm building I reckon I'd have it together IN TOTAL faster than you because I'd have templates for everything I needed ready-made. Especially if I had an unpaid and highly motivated assistant as you do (the owner).

Also on plate preparation and welding, I call ******** too. My last job before retirement was managing a marine R&D group which meant spending more time than I liked in dry dock having various items fitted, removed or modified in ships' hulls. The plate edges were ALWAYS ground back and all slag, scale etc removed. There was a visual inspection of the fitup prior to welding commencement and a minimum of a dye-pen check on completion. For a new large sea chest in the after end of the hull it had to be x-rayed. Without proper edge prep, the work wouldn't have even commenced.

What you're saying might, possibly, in some 3rd World country yard, been acceptable 30+ years ago but it isn't acceptable today. It doesn't take long to do a proper edge prep on thin plate and there's no excuse for not doing it.

Last, since you claim that your boat is fully foamed internally, a welding inspector couldn't possibly see the vast majority of critical welds, so any opinion is irrelevant.

PDW

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Brent sinks himself deeper into the mire about every third post he makes.

We've talked with Brent about the time to build before. He just doesn't get it (or rather his marketing doesn't allow) that framed hulls don't take significantly longer. From start to commissioning. But he keeps dishing up the same marketing hype endlessly.

Brent concentrates on the wow factor of the plate first but in reality his building is fast because it's so incredibly rough and ready.

Funny too how Brent has had a welding inspector onboard who did a visual ! Despite all Brent's spitting about visual weld inspections.

But perhaps that welding inspector would like to comment herself, I just don't trust Brent's statements anymore. And I'd love to watch her face as she watched the video of the construction process !

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

From the post by Lyndon

Especially when it's a Brent 'theorie' (sic) while the reality is collected empirically and made available as class rules, welding guidelines and stability guides for neophytes.

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

If he writes more than about 2 lines I don't bother reading it. It's too painful to decipher the missed quotes, false quotes, anecdotes without support, outright exaggerations, straw man arguments, red herrings and plain abuse just on the off-chance that there might be a nugget of useful information.

Anyone who hasn't the brains or the courtesy to learn how to quote properly isn't worth reading IMO.

Been off buying more grinding disks to dress my plate edges & welds. I loooove grinders, it's no wonder Brent doesn't want to take the time to do proper prep, it's noisy & dirty even when using a plasma cutter. Problem is even a plasma cutter leaves a hard nitrided zone 0.2 to 1mm thick along the cut so it's best to dress it back a little.

Here in Australia my little Chinese made 50A single phase plasma cutter has done a fine job on 6mm and thinner plate and an acceptable job on the small amount of 10mm plate I've had to cut. I used oxy-LPG to cut the 40mm plate. I can't see ANY reason for using a gas torch to cut thin plate like 5mm. With the plasma cutter you can move a ply template off the cut line 12mm (using my torch) and then use the edge of the template as a cutting guide by resting the torch shield against it. If I were doing lots of the same origami hull as Brent claims to do I'd have ply templates made and have a MUCH better, cleaner cut done in a lot less time.

You can now buy a 60A 3 phase plasma cutter for not much more than I paid for my 50A unit. It's gone on the shopping list.

PDW

5. TomThumb28

TomThumb28 Junior Member

[​IMG]

6. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

So, I see some chickensh*t left me a negative, without putting his username. For christ's sake, have the cojones to leave your username or send a message or respond on the thread.
    Mike

1 person likes this.
  7. welder/fitter

LOL, if you're going to send us home in our underwear, I want separate taxis!

8. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Can I point out, about visual inspection of the welds, that on a finished boat we should expect the welds to be well painted. In Brents boat, I believe they are properly covered with coal tar epoxy. Any weld looks gorgeous with enough paint on it (more so with thick goo as epoxy paint). There is no easier way to make chicken **** look like pro welding then by painting it. It's not possible to make a judgment on a covered up weld.

cheers, Murielle

9. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

guess who? no need to be a rocket scientist to know the person who did that.
    a coward who stab people in the back.
    they are mostly the most mouthy about their courage and boxing ability.
    (yes i read posts)

10. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Before anyone jumps in to too hasty conclusions.. Brent has the courage to tell if he gives negative rep.. I know ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Well I don't know how to give reps but I do know how to use quotes. :rolleyes:

12. welder/fitter

I agree.

Mike

13. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

14. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

15. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Please, practise quoting by Preview Post

One just don't know, what two lines you have been written. In these messages above it is still impossible to know when BS is talking and when someone else. Would you just do one thing right and test your messages with preview to see if your quoting is proper before you send them. You must not be that busy...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.