oregonian lost in the wind

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by stanl, Aug 21, 2010.

1. stanl

stanl Junior Member

hello everyone, i have a mystery boat and would really like the help of the worlds knowledge. it measures 21-2 overall,,16 at waterline,,6-3 beam,,the boat was bought at an estate sale,apparently an old farmer had begun construction some years ago,and for reasons unknown to relatives decided to shelf the project and he hung it in the barn,,where it hung for some thirty years,according to relatives??? the boat was far from complete and absolutely no building plans could be found..although some of the major design facts had been established by "farmer". there was no deck ,but stringers were there,mounted into the stringers was the mast "step located 6-5 from bow of boat..there was also a "hole in the keel for the rudder shaft,,17-4 from bow of boat,,and lastly in the keel was cut a slot for the centerboard trunk,,construction materials ,apparently steam bent "oak" ribs with what i believe to be either fir or maybe spruce??? absolutely clear grain,,,almost forgot it is entirely "hull" sheathed in fiberglass,,so i hope that is enough to get conversation going for now..also in some of the pics i put cones on the deck to simulate,mast and rudder locations,,,,,stanl,,portland,oregon

Attached Files:

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Congratulations.

Most probably you will have to replace the fasteners (one at a time) where the water was standing for years.

Then give her some paint and hoist the sail.

Good winds
    Richard

3. stanl

stanl Junior Member

lost in the wind

stanl ,back to further post i have already started,i left out some important ????? who designed this,the boat has "never" been in the water and yet he had "scribed" the waterline on the hull,making me believe there was a designer and not just some "farmer"who decided to build a boat,especially one that looks as fast as i believe this one has the potential to be.there no sails,,no mast,, no boom,,no rudder,,just a bare hull waiting for the right idiot to come along ,,again the key question is "WHAT IS IT",,,,,,,,,,stanl

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You may have found a small gemstone in that barn. Any distortion in the hull due to hanging?

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Possibly a Atkin design....

[​IMG]

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/
    should be not the biggest task to find the right data for rig and centerboard.

Regards
    Richard

1 person likes this.
  6. stanl

stanl Junior Member

thank you ,rasorinc and apex1 for responding. there is no distortion that is obviously visible but as of yet have never had it on a "absolute" flat surface to take measurements,the trailer that "farmers " kids put it on was a genuine piece of #$%@ so i "hung" it again in my shop and built its new trailer under it, making sure it "fit well" sitting on four bunkers bent to shape of hull.i checked that link to "ATKINS" and found no matches. was watching a tv show the other day called "mainsail" and they were featuring the 5.5 series of boats and i thought i was on to something untill i "googled" the 5.5 and dimensions just didnt come up correctly,that certainly would have been a little gem,but the simalarity is excititing, In my limited knowledge of boat designers i have always hoped to find it under something "ole cap"t NAT had done,,just cuz it looks like him,,but havent found it ..anyway the question still remains "WHAT IS IT" ,,,,,,,,,,,stanl

7. stanl

stanl Junior Member

oregonian has found his way

im answering this thread i guess to myself ,but maybe others will see,,the boat is an ARROWHEAD 21 designed by Charles H. McAlary and plans were published in the 1936 april popular mechanics .,,,,,,,stanl

2 people like this.
  8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks for that-it always is interesting to learn about different designs.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Nice to get an answer to the question. How did you find the information, and do you have a set of the plans now?

We'll be expecting pic's as you finish her, of course....:)

10. stanl

stanl Junior Member

lost and found plans

hello troy, after having wondered who designed this for alot of years now and having spent many hours of computer time randomly picking designers and going thru their portfolios with no luck ,the circumstances to history ,"old farmer",hung in a barn for thirty or more years,,i remembered POPULAR MECHANICS magazine would occasionally print boat plans. back to the computer and punched them up,,,sure as hell there they were,i could feel the adrenilan rush as i started clicking off all the specifications and everything came up aces,this IS the boat. so anyway somehow or another i got referred to a web site called D.N GOODCHILD and there along with a million other plans are ARROWHEAD 21 plans am expecting them in the mail any day now,,,,11.95 for plans,,,4.55 shipping,,,,,,,,,16.50 total the best 20.00 i will ever spend. part 1 came out in the 1936 april issue of PM,the next three months contained 2, 3 and 4. the real web site for plans is as follows http://www.dngoodchild.com,,,,,,,#5070 Arrowhead:A Fast,Trim and able 21-Ft. sloop. thanks for the interest ,,,due to these postings i have been in contact with a fellow from NYNY about this boat as his father ,uncle and grandfather built on way back when and he remembers the days of glory days of sailing,,,we both wonder how many of these were built across the land thanks for the interest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stanl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,portland oregon

11. bozscott

bozscott New Member

Arrowhead down under

G'day Stanl
    I thought you might find it interesting to see an arrowhead sailing on Sydney Harbour and to know that they are beautiful boats to sail and quite fast when racing boats of similar size. "Skylark" was built in Sydney in 1955 (then called Windigo) from the plans in Popular Mechanics and she raced at the SASC for her first 20 years. I brought her back to the club and raced for a couple of years before moving on to a bigger yacht. I still own and maintain Skylark and find her a most enjoyable long term project. I have met many of her past owners and have an almost complete history of her time. I do know that there were other arrowheads built in Sydney, one still survives with a fixed keel, and they also turned up in Tasmania. All about as far away from Oregon as you could get! Good luck with your arrowhead Stanl
    Bozscott

Attached Files:

12. stanl14

stanl14 New Member

hello Bozscott down under,,after finding out who designed my boat i didnt keep up with the forum,,,,today just out of nowhere i decided to check back and here you are with some really nice pictures,,,thank you so much for posting them,,,we are still under construction so any inspiration is a good thing,,,if you have any more photos that you would like to share you can send them to me directly at stanwanda@frontier.com thanks again stan

13. stanl14

stanl14 New Member

hello again bozscott,,,are you still using the original planed rudder design or have you updated it in any way,,if so i would really appreciate the info,,maybe pictures?? thanks again,,,stanl14

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Nice to see this project is still under way... keep us updated on what you're doing to the old gal to get her in the water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.