Safe Haven

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by dalebirrell, May 2, 2011.

1. dalebirrell

dalebirrell Junior Member

Does anyone know if there's a strict definition of when a vessel can be classed as a 'safe haven' and would not have to return to shore?

Cheers

2. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

dalebirrell,

As far as I am aware 'safe haven' is not a term applied to a vessel. The MCA in the Small Commercial Vessel Code define a safe haven as 'a harbour or shelter of any kind which affords safe entry and protection from the force of weather'.
    If your vessel is not to be restricted by needing a safe haven then it would need to comply with Area Catgory 0 - Unrestricted Service.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I am assuming your vessel is not akin to the atoll in the film 'Waterworld'.

Regards,
    Graham
    Naval Architect

Westbrook Marine Projects Ltd.

3. dalebirrell

Haha, nah, it's definitely nothing to do with waterworld.

Perfect, thanks for your help

Dale

4. ACuttle

ACuttle Marine Design Engineer

I don't know whether you would count it as a waterworld situation, a mothership (or platform) can count as a safe-haven for daughter vessels - though the mothership arrangement does have to be considered 'safe'.

This is fairly typical for workboats working offshore, and their class would often depend on operating conditions etc (this can be down to MCA Cat 5). Only MCA Cat 6 requires the vessel to be within a given distance from land (3 miles).

5. dalebirrell

Drew,

this was what trying to find out, at what point can you class a boat to be a suitable mother ship? Been looking though MCA and there doesnt seem to be a clear definition anywhere

Dale

6. ACuttle

ACuttle Marine Design Engineer

I don't have the definition in-front of me but I would think you'll find that so long as you can recover (or safely 'harbour') the daughter vessel, then the mothership counts as a safe-haven. Ideally you'd be looking for the mothership to be able to get the daughter out of the water and secure (in a cradle etc.).

The mothership will then have it's own class requirements based on the vessel type/conditions/operations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.