Order used sails, buy new sails, or make my own?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by NorthLakeFisher, Jan 4, 2022.

1. NorthLakeFisher

NorthLakeFisher Junior Member

In the process of building nancys china dc15, and was curious to hear what people do for sails.. I tried searching around for used ones but had little luck finding the size I need.. that led me to the idea of making my own sails but wasn't sure how difficult it would be.. Anyone know what the best option would be from experience?

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

hoytedow likes this.
  3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

For boats in that size range the decision to buy used is about economics and chance. Is there a popular old production boat with the same sail dimensions? If there is a popular one design racer with the right dimensions, there is a good chance that you will find a good deal on a sail with just a few seasons on it just because a crisp new sail is more competitive.
    Do you want to be a sailmaker? If not, I would advise you to leave it to professionals.

4. NorthLakeFisher

She's coming along fairly well, hopefully have her done for the summer, I am building the bermuda rig one, and yes thanks for the tip, leaning towards buying a kit from them!

bajansailor likes this.
  5. NorthLakeFisher

That is some good advice, I have been looking around for some used sails of small boats but had little luck so far, maybe ill put a wanted ad out. And after a lot of research I've decided against building from scratch, although I'd like to read up more on sailrite kits

6. NorthLakeFisher

Those are some pics of it so far, still quite a ways to go and probably a mistake here or there but happy with it considering it's my first boat project

Attached Files:

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.