Elvstrom 1/4 tonner

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tamkvaitis, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis sailor/amateur designer

Sbd knows anythung about these boats? Any speceal things? maybe sbd has some drawings class rulles, etc, of boats like this?

2. Buc

Buc Junior Member

Quarter Ton boats were designed to rate 18.0 under the IOR. Hence the class rule was the IOR measurement rule. Most boats were about 24 feet overall. Several young designers of the era -- Ron Holland and Bruce Farr come to mide readily -- used the 1/4-ton class as a starting point because the cost of entry was relatively cheap. In the US it was possible to build a boat with sails and electronics for under $12,000 in the early to mid-70s. Racing was level, that is without handicaps.

3. tamkvaitis

thanks, for your comment, but I was looking for more special comment about elvstrom's quarter tonner. The boat I started sailing have some modifications and I don't think that it is good (I don't know actualy), So
    I want to have as much information about this boat as possible.

4. linie

linie New Member

elvström 1/4 tonner

Hi
    if you´r still interessted, pick up the thread. í´ve skippered one for the last seven years and think i know a few things about the boattype.

5. tamkvaitis

Yes I am interested ;)
    As I said in my first post any information about this boat is interesting for me

6. linie

linie New Member

The Elvström quarterton is a very rewarding boat to sail. Whatever trimming you are doing vill result in notisable differences, this naturally also makes it hard to keep the speed at absolute maximum.
    She goes very softley throu rough sea, and is easy to handle in hard wind, if reefed. All boats has masthead rigs ,but the mast is quite flexible(for a masthead) and is held up by 11 ! shrouds. my boat is fully equipped with IOR sails which means 4 headsails, 4 spinnakers and main.
    Have a look at maringuiden.se and a danish site wich you will find if you google "udkik"
    The cockpit is easy to work in and comfortable.
    Interior differs a lot between the boats, my boat is very comfortable.

7. RichR

RichR Junior Member

8. Skelem

Skelem New Member

Hi All, I am looking for more info on an ELvstrom 1/4 tonner. I have followed all the links, and am not getting help with rigging set up, any help please. Regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.