School Search

Discussion in 'Education' started by JMill, Apr 24, 2005.

1. JMill

JMill New Member

I am a senior in high school about to graduate and i would like to persue boat design/engineering as a career. I was wondering if anyone could give me some names of some schools that are in Florida that offer this as a field of study. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigbri272

bigbri272 Junior Member

Stuff Florida, its too hot come to Scotland it cool here?? Try the Universities of Strathclyde and Glasgow. See you soon, maybe not.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

No US college that I know of offers "boat design". It is Naval Architecture. And as far as I recall, no college in Flordia offers Naval Architecture. That leaves FIT (Melbourne) and FAU (Boca Raton) which offer an Ocean Engineering Degree. OE touches on vessel design, but is mainly concerned with ocean structures and processes.

Try this site for other options.

http://www.universities.com/On-Campus/Bachelor_degree_Engineering.html

4. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Try with the WESTLAWN INSTITUTE OF MARINE TECHNOLOGY that offers courses by correspondance. I'm a graduated of this school and many well known Naval Architect have the same diploma.
    The courses concern sail and motor boats. You will learn all concerning how to design boats from lines, weight, electrical balance, structure etc,. etc.
    Try....

www.westlawn.org
    westlawn@abycinc.org

RANCHI Otto

5. zdesign

zdesign Junior Member

Also, look into The Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. Although it isn't an engineering or architecture degree, it is a yacht design program. I asked Tom MacNaughton of The MacNaughton Group (where I am currently enrolled) what he thought about The Art Institute and we both came to the conclusion that they teach you how to draw pretty pictures of boats. Look into MacNaughton. Also, the Westlawn Institute, they're both per correspondence so you can do it anywhere.

6. Samwise

Samwise Junior Member

Hi there

I too am in high school and i am also looking for schools, however i did find some in michigan at the University of Michigan and that was one that sounded to me to be fun, but i looked in florida because thats were i wanted to go at first but there are none that i could fins. sry
    maybe we could stay incontact and maybe we can help each other out.

7. JMill

JMill New Member

Thats great. I really would like to do this but it will be hard to find a school. What made you want to get in this field? You said that The University of Michigan has something in what we were looking for. Could you please send more info. on what they have to offer.

8. Samwise

Samwise Junior Member

hey there. ya michican does have some courses that are related to naval architecture and marine engineering. just search at collegeboard.com for michigan university of Arbor. ok, and then tell me what u think, thanks,

9. AMGL

AMGL New Member

check out sname.org , the Society of Naval Architects and Marine engineers, and find the link to education for a list of schools in North America offering naval architecture and marine engineering programs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.