Optimizing Dutch fishing ship

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by NielsNL, Apr 24, 2006.

1. NielsNL

NielsNL New Member

I am trying to optimize the hull shape of a 10m 'Zeeschouw', a hard chined traditional Dutch fishing ship: flat bottom & leeboards and very suitable for shallow water.
    Class regulations demand the location of the largest station is > 10% of LWL fore the center of LWL. However, several items on this forum indicate that a slightly aft location is preferable. For this reason Gerritsma once said that these ships would be probably faster when sailing backwards...

I've made several hull shape studies, using a standard Zeeschouw as a starting point. It seems to be possible to move the top of the COA about 200mm aft when I create a relatively full aft section. However, this also leads to a higher prismatic coefficient, which easily shifts from 0.57 to 0.60.

Should I prefer the more aft COA top or the lower prismatic ? I am afraid the parameters of this model are not in range of the Delft series, so I can't use the resistance module of FreeShip.

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Zeeschouw optimalisation

Martijn van Schaik from http://www.seahorsedesigngroup.com/ has done a successful optimalisation of the zeeschouw design.

I don't know anything about this class's regulations.

Pictures and more information can be found at http://www.dedeining.nl/index.htm look under "ontwikkeling". One of the keys to his succes has been making upper plating and ribs a thin as possible and using a heavy plate for bottom to enhance stability. The ends are more slender then traditional and the bottom has more rocker.

Looks like the main station has gone aft compared to more traditional zeeschouw design.

Speed prediction methods on a multi chine hull like a schouw are under developed, especially when heeled and going windwards.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.