optimal relative transom width for low power planing hull skiff?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BE_, Apr 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. BE_

BE_ mr. man

a flat bottom plywood skiff is a flat bottom skiff, a v bottom aluminum boat is a v bottom aluminum boat.

i just want advice on how to design a flat bottom plywood skiff, not what v bottom aluminum boat i should be buying instead

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The original posters query was to find out if a wide or narrow "transom width" or chine width would be better to enable planing at low horsepower. It was later that the OP said that the purpose was to build a boat of a particular shape and
    never again mentioned the parameters that he introduced in his initial post.

I introduced the picture of the Lund as it was the target length of his sketch but exhibited those design elements that have been proven for 3/4 of a century, whether is is built of aluminum or wood or fiberglass. No one is suggesting
    which aluminum boat to buy.

Lund boats have an almost zero deadrise in the wetted surface area when planing. So it is not a V hull.

So, going back to the first post, if you are trying to attain a reasonable speed with an 8 - 10 horsepower flat bottom hull, a wider chine width with parallel chines in the aft 2/3's will be able to provide the best speed or load carrying capacity
    than a narrow chined boat.

With the change of goal to build a boat with your sketch with the very narrow planing area, performance MAY be compromised/unobtainable.

With the original parameters AND including the new desirable shape, and accepting a compromise on performance, then build your "shape" but use a wider chine width.

As Messabout said, no one is trying to give you a hard time or suggesting which boat to buy, but rather some basic design parameters to help your build

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    bajansailor likes this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The drawing shows no rocker at all. That is likely to make the boat broach when running in even small waves.

Barry, BE_ and bajansailor like this.
  4. BE_

BE_ mr. man

i was wandering about that. i was copying jeff spira's carolina dories (Spira International Inc - Pescadero Carolina Dory https://spirainternational.com/hp_pesc.php), which have no rocker, or even an upturned bow. i like this because it makes it easy to build, but would raising the bow 4 or so inches make a big difference in performance?

5. BE_

BE_ mr. man

upturned the bow, increased flair in the bow, and widened the chines

new short wide tall boat.png

6. BE_

BE_ mr. man

is this a better shape?
    new short wide tall ugly boat.png

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member

My opinion is yes, I think that the rear upper beam width dimension ( at the transom) would be more than 44 inches if the mid chine width is also 44 inches. So increase this to scale keeping the 44 mid chine width 44

BE_ likes this.
  8. BE_

BE_ mr. man

like this?

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Looks pretty good, but it might be worth accommodating a bit of an upturned rocker, only at the front to somewhat mitigate Gonzo's concern. If you are in light wave conditions, it should not be a problem but if you are caught out in
    stronger conditions and nowhere to hide, a bit of front rocker may help.

BE_ likes this.
  10. BE_

BE_ mr. man

this is probably it for revisions, i'll start making the model soon

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

When running at less than planing speed some front rocker will make steering more certain. If the forefoot is allowed to be too deep, the boat can be twitchy in even a small chop.

BE_ likes this.
  12. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Again about curvature : if you plan a ply-on-frames construction, you should pay attention to the curvature variation, the less variation, the easier the building. To have in mind the flexure of the ply panels. For example, the Lund 12 showed above would be uneasy to do due in ply due to the peak of curvature of the sheer line. From a given drawing, you can always try to minimize the curvature variation without too much geometry change.

BE_ likes this.

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

When you build the model, you might have some excess twist in the side near the forefoot. If you have the stem raked at the most convenient angle the side panel will lay nicely without twist. Eyeballing the drawing it seems a bit too much rake. In any case, you can build to your last drawing with confidence that the boat will work as hoped. The 8 HP engine will drive it fast enough to be plenty of fun if lightly loaded.

BE_ likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.