Opinions sought on best frame slotting methods.

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by timgoz, Sep 30, 2006.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello All,

How do those of you who have built, or are building a steel boat(s) slot your transverse frames for the stringers & chines?

The options I am aware of are the standard torch and a handgrinder with cutting wheel. Which is preferred.

Also, it would seem a plasma cutter might be a good choice? I have no experience with them but it seems logical that they may be well suited to the task.

Speed, accuracy, cleanness of cut, and heat generated are my list of variables.

I would be working with 1/4" mild steel stock.

Thanks.

TGoz

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Plasma if you have access. Make a profile and trace around it for each slot. Otherwise a cutting disk but those big grinders get heavy and the cut gets a bit sloppy..........accuracy is good for fairness overwelding a big gap is the distortion producer.

Check your frames after cutting as they tend to bow a little if flat bar.

Cheers

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks Mike. I figure to use an air grinder if I choose that method. Alot lighter than electric.

TGoz

4. Chapman

Chapman Junior Member

Definitly plasma. To keep it neat and simple, I would recommend making jigs that match the cutout you want, but are wide enough to accomodate the width of your torch. Bolt heavy duty magnets to the back to hold them in place. This way, you stick the jig over the cut-out and simply run your plasma torch along the edge of the jig. Every slot should then be uniform. I can't imagine how your arms would feel after a day of cutting slots in 1/4" steel with a cutting wheel.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks again.

All that cutting with a grinder would really pollute the in my face air too:)

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.