Opinions on round bilge vs hard chine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bassman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Bassman

Bassman New Member

We're in the process of designing a 24' version of a traditional New England Bassboat (similar to a Fortier, Wasque, Tripp, Duffy) and are torn between the traditional round bilge hull vs a more modern planing hull. The boat will have an 8.5' beam, full keel, tiller steering, flush deck and be powered by a diesel. Boat should be able cruise in the high teens-low 20's.

We will keep the traditional profile of a downeast lobster boat and are leaning towards keeping the bottom traditional (round bilge). Anyone have opinions on the pros and cons of either hull approach?

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

How will she be built? What type of conditions will she be used in?

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Here are 2 shots one is the lines from a Eldredge-McInnis 26’, the other is the bottom of a Mckenzie they both have a V bottom planeing hull. Maybe we are thinking of different bass boats.

Gary :D

Attached Files:

4. Bassman

Bassman New Member

Hull will be built out of solid fiberglass, deck and bulkheads will be cored, 2 piece mold due to nice tumblehome and molded-in spray rails. She will be used fro light tackle fishing near shore and for cruising tidal bays and rivers. Mackenzie is the boat that I most admire...the classic of all bass boats. I presently own a Tripp made in Westport Mass. and she has a round bilge and large spray rails that run the entire length of the hull. It has a nice ride and great handling round the dock, but I don't know if I should explore other options regarding the bottom. Thanks alot for sending the picture of the Mackenzie!

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think the round bottom at those speeds is better. Particularly with a wide spray rail that provides some lift. It will be more efficient at trolling speed too.

6. Bassman

Bassman New Member

I agree about the spray rail. On my boat they almost act like a hard chine and it does adds lift. Any idea where I can find some line drawings of a MacKenzie? I'd like to see how they incorporated the keel into the bottom...probably not much different than the 26' McInnis in the above drawing?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.