Opinions on Macgregor 26

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MarioCoccon, Jun 15, 2006.

1. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi, some friend bought a Macgregor M26, the boat sails very fast in 15knts and no complain about the 20knts with the 50hp. The magazine said unsincable, very stable bla bla, all thats true, some know more about this boats. Iam thinking in one, can be take out of the water in hurricanes and for maintaince, very fast and handy why not?. But my concern is in rought water, I take my Columbia and the Newport in any cond but could be possible do the same in a Mac without any risk of capsize o maybe broke the hull or something like that??. Please opinions welcome. Thanks. www.Macgregor26.com

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

Do you really want opinions?

3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

It is designed to compromise too much in each category, it sails like a pig, is really a motor boat with a steadying sail and is built by a manufacture well known for their inferior craftsmanship and materials. If you need 10 times the HP of other similarly sized boats, in its displacement range, then it obviously has identity issues. I can not think of a single MacGregor model that has held any real value, in there full line of yachts, from beginning to current models. It is the Hugo of production sailboats. This is not an off shore boat and would be very foolish to take there. If you do, make sure you are paid in full on any life insurance, so your family can collect.

4. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

It is simply not possible to get it all. The Mac26 is, as Hunter25 says, very much a compromise, its whole existance is a compromise :)

But it is a best-seller so it can't be bad for all. It's like American cars, generally considered crap in the rest of the world but pretty good in the States. Why? It's because HOW you use them.

For Mac26, the how is not rough weather
    Mikey

5. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

I see'm being motored with the mast removed. That says something.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Unsinkable?? So was the Titanic. Yes, it has buillt in flotation and under most circumstances won't go to the bottom. But I have investigated several occurances of these boats swamping and then rolling over. They have a rather complex water ballasting system that actually works pretty well when it works right. However, the occurences I saw, were when it didn't work right, the valves that were supposed to close didn't and the boats filled with water. In both cases this happened when the boat was powering.

As was said these boats are a compromise between a power boat and a sailboat. Yes it sails, but not as well as a comparable sailboat the same size. It powers well but not as well as a power boat the same size with a modified v-hull. So, If you want a sail boat you can trailer (with a large v-8 pickup) that will get you home fairly fast go for it. But I would never take one offshore in any kind of weather.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

It will be a wonder option for the Trimaran center hull.......... so it have its uses after all:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.