Opinion on this design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cpodest, Mar 28, 2014.

1. cpodest

cpodest The Beginner

Dear Fellows,

Please, could you be so kind and give me your comments about this design? Please take a look at the attached files and also here:

Daggerboard, centered at 1.85mts, area:0,350mts2
    rudder area 0,255mt2
    Sails: Main 7mt2, jib 1,5mts2, center of effort of the sails, centered at 2,12

It will be used in a warm enviroment, sea, short navigations (weekends). Skill of the crew.. beginners. for 1 or 2 persons.

Please, tell me if you need more information

Thanks a lot
    Carlos

Attached Files:

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Usually sailing dinghies have vertical transoms to make the rudder assembly and steering easier.

The Cp seems very low, as does the displ if you have two crew

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

While not a problem, the daggerboard and rudder seem a bit large for the sail area. Mounting the rudder will be more complicated with the reverse transom which is unnecessary. As Richard said, the hull shape points to a displacement hull that will not readily plane. The sail area probably also dictates that hull speed will be its limit on speed. Location of CE and CLR is probably OK.

Just a very quick analysis. A nice rendering though. I suggest that you look at the equivalent numbers for similar sized small sailboats of known performance.

4. cpodest

cpodest The Beginner

Dear Richard,

Do you recomend a Cp more close to 0.6?

Thanks a lot
    Carlos

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

.55-.57 is more normal for a low speed boat. I agree with Tom re board/rudder sizes and his comments

Richard Woods

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.