ferro cement hull protection

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sidenham, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sidenham

sidenham New Member

Hi ALL I'm going to have a go at cleaning and re-painting my hull myself this year. I've been told that there is no need for the normal copper infused antifoul to be used on cement. If that so, can anyone tell me what type of product can be used instead.
    Never done this before so all sound advice (other than get it done by a boat yard) would be gratefully appreciated, trying to save money you see, newly retired. Thanks All, Sid, New on the forum.:confused:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All hull material choices need anti fouling paint (copper infused or not) if stored in the water, with the possible exception of monel.

3. sidenham

sidenham New Member

Further to my question, I have been in contact with a company in England that supply all types of E-poxy resins and Paints for Marine and the Building industries here. They have in the past supplied an e-poxy resin-ed base paint for swimming pools to owners of boats with very favorable results.
    My idea is that adding to this swimming pool paint the same measurement of copper that is added to the already successful product called "coppercoat".
    Both "coppercoat" and this particular Swimming pool Paint are E-poxy resin based of similar make up.

Has anyone had experience of this swimming pool paint being used or indeed copper powder being mixed with a resin based paint for any use at all.

I should add that the saving should this be workable is in the region of about £50 approx per Ltr.

The Companys name is Antel Ltd and the product Poolcoat in many colours. Regards all Sid.

4. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Copper is dissolved in process of protecting boat from fouling, so goes away and paint loses effectiveness. Adding copper (in what form?) to it will just cause problems.
    Use barrier epoxy coating system (Interlux is good) and conventional copper paint over. The swimming pool paint may work as a barrier and after you find out please tell us.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The Companys name is Antel Ltd and the product Poolcoat in many colours.
    Product i found was called PoolCoating System 10 address

http://www.antel-uk.co.uk/

:D

Sounds like it could be a go with the copper powder mixed but i would be inclinde to do a panel or two and throw them in the tide for a couple or more months to try it out !!!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Adding particulates to paint can work, but you have to get the ratio right or it doesn't work. You see, once you get enough copper powder in the paint (70% to 80% solids) your paint loses it's ability to grip the surface. Modern formulations use a high grip paint, such as polyurethanes or epoxy, but again, you have to get the ratio right. If you don't have enough copper particulates, it'll remain in suspension and the paint will just have a copper color with little exposure. If you have too much it can sag or worse prevent the vehicle from flashing off effectively and the paint doesn't cure or stick well. Playing with this level of chemistry isn't for novices, not to mention have you priced copper powder, at the particulate size you need lately?

7. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

We use a lot of VC17 bottom paint around here which comes with a plastic bag of copper powder which you stir in yourself, you may be able to get your quantities for loading from looking at a can of this.
    Steve.

8. sidenham

sidenham New Member

I have today spoken at length with the chap at Antels and he advised that rather than using pool paint, Epoxy Solvent Free Coating for floors would be a better recipient with less sag occurring with the copper powder added when laid on the Hull. He also said that they supply a substantial amount to the marine industry but refrain from competing with other company's directly supplying anti-foul coatings like "cooper---t , Intern----l, etc; something like cutting off nose to spite one's face

(Steve W) Any chance you could find out what weight of copper is added to the VC17 only we don't seem to have it over here. and the volume of a tin please.
    Sid..

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Here is an effective method I have used in the past on Ferro and wood.
    Apply straight epoxy to the hull with a roller...when cured enough that epoxy is still sticky but does not transfer to finger when touched, apply a good bottom paint. This is "wet on wet".
    Note: This is not impermeable, nor does it assure 100% antifouling. It only provides a second tough barrier when your yearly antifouling peels or is compromised in some way.
    I have found myself way overdue for a haul out in the tropics and nowhere to deal with the fouling except diving and scraping. The epoxy make for a pretty damn tough barrier.

10. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

When i built my Ferro boat 40 years ago buiders were using either 100% solids Epoxy resin or chlorinated rubber pool paint as the barrier coat, i used epoxy so have no experience with the pool paint to share unfortunatly.
    Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.