Foiling Week

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Doug Lord, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Foiling Week--Major Conference on Hydrofoil Sailing

I originally posted about this in the Design section but I think it is more appropriate here. Here is some of the latest: http://www.foilingweek.com/
    The events have been scheduled from July 4th-July 10th. Lots of info on the state of the art in modern foilers. Oh, how I wish I could have been there....
    Here is the Foiling week agenda-there may be more of these youtube presentations lurking around-when I find them I'll post them here. http://www.foilingweek.com/the-foiling-week/activities/tfw-forum-agenda/

Didn't take long to find the whole shebang: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Foiling Week

Here is a very long youtube version of the speakers July 10th:
    As I watch this 4 hour masterpiece of foiling info I will try to create a sort of index:
    Speakers: (corrections to name spellings earnestly solicited)

1-Andrew McDougal-MachII and Bladerider Moth designer, builder and sailor: st 4:47 in, ends about 39:00 in,
    2- Andrew MacPherson- principle of the GC32 project(37 knots yesterday!) : st 40:00 in, ends 59:27 in,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AM-992cOdw

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Doug,

Great to see James Grogono is still around and active. Some 40+ years go when I got interested in foils and high speed we corresponded a bit although I was more interested in Bernard Smith's work with tilted lifting airfoils to reduce load on the foils.

I always thought Smith's ideas offered the best bet to get really high speed. Its gratifying to see that this system has finally been perfected enough to set the current speed record with Sailrocket.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

James Grogono

The guy has been quite an inspiration to me as has Paul Larsen and the SailRocket Team. Going to be interesting what design they will use for ocean going speed!

7. John Perry

John Perry Senior Member

I found Tom Speer's presentation particularly interesting. To get the best from it I think it is worth playing the U Tube video in a screen window alongside a second window with the .pdf document showing the slides.

I did wonder what software (if any) Tom used for the lifting line analysis to obtain the lift and lift induced drag, also how the proximity of the air water interface was taken into account. If suitable software is in the public domain I would be interested in running it for a rather different foil configuration that I have in mind.

8. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I used a multi-surface version of the lifting line spreadsheet that's been on my website for a couple of decades. The math was exactly the same, but I've expanded the size of the matrices to handle as many as 5 surfaces and added a lot to the user interface. For a two-surface problem like the A-class foils, I simply put the 5 surfaces end-to-end; 3 for the leeward foil and 2 for the windward foil. That's why you see different colors on the Trefftz plane loading plots. It wouldn't be too difficult to modify the single-surface spreadsheet to handle 2 surfaces.

I've thought about making the new version available on my web site, but the problem is the spreadsheet has grown to be quite complex and it would take some training for someone to learn to use it. I just don't have the time to answer the questions that would arise from people trying to learn it.

There are other programs that could do the same thing, ranging from vortex lattice codes like AVL to panel codes like CMARC. I'm pretty sure CMARC will do the infinite-Froude number approximation for the free surface that I used for the lifting line method. I don't know if AVL can approximate a free surface.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Foiling Week 2015

From Scuttlebutt Europe:

2015 Foiling Week

The Foiling Week is the first and only global event dedicated to the amazingly fast foiling boats, their sailors, designers and builders.

The first edition (2014) was announced in December 2013 and held at Fraglia Vela Malcesine, Lake Garda, Italy in July 2014.

More than 60 boats including foiling monohulls, multihulls, kite-surf boards, windsurfers, and a wide variety of prototypes were sailed by 100+ sailors including professionals such as Sebastian Col, Nils Frey, Josh McKnight, Rob Gough, Stefano Rizzi, to name just a few...

The 2015 Foiling Week edition will be held during the first week of July in Malcesine, Lake Garda, Italy.

Class Regattas, Long Distance Races and a Speed Contest will take place from Wednesday 1st to Sunday 5th July.

Forums and Workshops will be scheduled during the mornings and at the end of racing in the afternoons from Friday 3rd to Sunday 5th July.

A number of new foiling designs have been launched this year and have joined the Foling Week 2015, so up to six different dedicated classes are expected to be racing on the waters of Lake Garda.

www.foilingweek.com

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.