Solidworks

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joerg Furrer, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Joerg Furrer

Joerg Furrer New Member

Hello, everyone I am planning to build a solar catamaran. I am very used to solidworks. But since I am a mechanical engineer, I am looking for a professional example of a yacht construction on Solidworks. It's about how the basic structure is done by a professional in Solidworks.
    So I'm looking for a professional Solidworks file of a ship. Size and type do not matter. Can someone help me?
    Joerg

2. Alexander Peter Bromley

Alexander Peter Bromley Student Naval Architect

Solidworks is not the best for modelling the hull form, we model in a specialized ship design software and then finish in Rhino or Solidworks with the detail.

marufuddin0 likes this.
  3. Joerg Furrer

Joerg Furrer New Member

The catamaran is to be built in aluminum. It's mostly about the part above water. The demanding part of the underwater is constructed by a boat builder.

4. Alexander Peter Bromley

Alexander Peter Bromley Student Naval Architect

Oh I see, so are you looking for a scantling example?

5. Joerg Furrer

Joerg Furrer New Member

Yes, exactly! Do you know some examples in Solidworks?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is not possible to calculate the scantlings with Solidworks. You need suitable software for this purpose. Yes, you could use Solidworks, although it is not the most suitable tool, to draw the scantlings planes, but nothing else.
    I can show you drawings and calculations of scantlings but created with other more suitable software.

7. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum @Joerg Furrer
    Can you tell us a bit more about your solar catamaran please?
    It sounds like an interesting project.

Re how she will be built from aluminium, will she be (multi) chine construction, or 'round bilge'?
    Who is designing the hull shape - the boat builder?
    It sounds like you are responsible for designing the structure?

8. Tedd McHenry

Tedd McHenry Junior Member

I'm in a similar situation. I've been using it for decades and own a copy, so it seems silly not to make use of the tool and my experience with it. But SW isn't a lot of help with the parametric aspects of your boat design. You'll still need hand methods or other software.

This might not be important for your design, but I've also found SW a little awkward for creating developable surfaces. I'm currently working on a stich-and-glue kayak design. It's easy enough in theory to say that the hull shape needs to be limited to cylinders and cones, but it can be quite tricky in practice to do that in SW and get the shape you want. It's especially tricky where two or more surfaces merge into a common line, such as at the bow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.