Hobie Bravo

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Caldera Boats, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

WHITE TRASH BOAT REVIEW - HOBIE BRAVO

I recently purchased a hobie bravo for playing around in the shoal waters
    This little bugger is a perfect single handed dingy and I even used it as a tender for the "money pit". I'm a fatty, weighing in at $250, and this boat even handle my weight and abuse.
    One thing that really impresses me, as a boat designer, is the fully battened furling rig. the battens roll right up in the mast for easy stowage. I may even use this rig on a little 12 foot mono that I have been building.
    But my favorite thing is the built in insulated beer cooler and (4) beer holders in the cockpit.
    Heck, it was stable enough to stand on and take a leak even after a 6 pack.

Beer for Ballast.
    Cheers,
    Caldera

1 person likes this.
  2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Well that does it, I need one! Thanks to your review I'm going to contact a rep. and try one out:)
    Really though, funny title and good info on a boat I most likely wouldnt have given a glance at. Kudos.
    -Figgy

3. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Thats impressive!

The Planet Earth is not stable enough for me after a six pack.

4. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

2nd Test Report - Heavy Wind

BRAVO REVIEW – PART II

I took the Bravo out on the lake yesterday in some very heavy weather for such a small boat. The wind was over 20 MPH with gusts, shifting directions, and choppy water with white caps.
    The Bravo performed well with one person, very fast, easy to get up one pontoon. My big butt didn't have to hike out very far at all to balance her out. Downwind performance is lacking because of the boomless rig. Hobie does sell an optional boom, which I would highly recommend.
    With two full (American) size adults we overloaded the 400 lb weight limit by 25 lbs or so. The Hobie still performed very well. It didn’t heal over quite as much, but the speed was still there. With two people this is a VERY wet boat.
    Overall this is a very user friendly boat that is a snap to set-up. No more than 5 minutes at the most. It is the perfect boat for beginners learning to sail.
    I also gave her a name. the “JL Seagull” after the book “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” by Richard Bach.. This fast little white boat is just like the freedom loving Jonathon.
    I will give a new test report after installing the optional boom.

Cheers,
    and happy sailing, :)

Caldera

5. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

Hi - I found this Forum by accident, but I just bought a Hobie Bravo, and will pick it up this weekend. I live on the Atlantic (North of Palm Beach) so I'll let you know how she takes to the surf... I've owned a few Hobie Cats, and a 42 foot Trimaran.

6. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

First Sail !!!

Today, I sailed my new Hobie Bravo for the first time !!!

The weather was good - 81 deg F, SE winds, about 12 knots, waves averaging about two feet. Atlantic Ocean off Juno Beach, north of Palm Beach.

She set up easily, and launched so quickly, I barely jumped on in time! I heeled her to about 45 deg max, easily controlling the lift by leaning out, or steering upwind.

She has very little weather helm, and with some trimming, she will sail a straight line with no control. Pointing upwind, she will come up and stall, if you let go. She points well, not quite as well as my Hobie 14 Turbo, but geez… and she comes about in a second! Jibing is no problem either, even with the sail extended. Sailing downwind, you have to be a little off, or the sail luffs too much.

One thing I’m going to change. I think it’s a “safety thing” in the design, but the sheet cam cleat is set to come loose with the slightest tug, and difficult to regrip, when you really want to haul it in. I’m used to snapping the sheet loose if I get in trouble, and when I haul in, it’s set when I let go (just a matter of angle).

Generally, this boat is wonderful to own. Everything is very easy. I love the waterproof storage in front. She has handles all over the place. Sailing in the slot, she’s pretty dry, even with the 2 foot waves we had today. Self-bailing, of course. The new rudder lock is very simple and functional. She is easy to get out of the surf quickly – very light. The furling sail is great, I practiced furling a mile out, and “taking a nap” - you can steer downwind with your toes…

7. djsammy

djsammy New Member

That sounds good i was thinking about buying a Hobie bravo, but i was also thinking about buying a Hobie wave because i was thinking about something that i could take mates out on. But something with lots of speed and handles waves easily.

8. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

I'd go for a 16

The Hobie Wave is a nice boat. It's really set up for a "family fun" type thing - cup holders, very stable, etc. There's one on the beach near me.

But, I've sailed 14's & 16's, and the 14 (turbo - with a jib) or 16 can go MUCH faster that a wave, with the same load. I've had seven people on a 16, in calm weather. the tramp was touching the water - LOL

9. djsammy

djsammy New Member

yeah i never thought of that

thanks alot, ahaha seven people damn thats awesome..... it seems like the perfect boat... can it come with a jib... if it can im sold

10. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

Yes !!!

The Hobie 16 comes standard with a jib. The 14 is no longer sold, but the Turbo (means with a jib) is still out there used...

The 16 is set up to race with two, and the 14 one person for optimum performance. Sailing either with a jib will keep you busy coming about, if you're single-handing it...

11. Hobiestoke

Hobiestoke Junior Member

A note on the Hobie 16 - its a whole lot more boat to handle than a wave and the setup would be more complicated for beginners, but for the $ i'd definatley go for an H16 or find an older H14 and refurbish it (you cant go wrong with an h14!) if you've sailed before, and a wave if you are a beginner :) Heck if you're going to spend the $ on an H16, you could get a decent used Narca or Prindle cat and really haul butt! you'd be the envy of all your buddies haha...:D

12. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

Or a Super Cat, if you can find one. I know the inventor - it was quite a boat, until he got involved with the corporate guys, who ruined the whole concept...

13. hilomania

hilomania New Member

Perfect 1st boat

The Bravo was built as a cheap boat for renting out at tourist resorts. It had to be easy to sail; cheap, indestructable and above all FUN! Hobie did a great job.
    I bought a Hobie Bravo for my 10 year and 9 year old sons. They needed a fast boat since we do a lot of sailing on the intercoastal near Charleston, SC. The currents here are tremendous: They are walking speed. A monohull just doesn't cut it well around here.
    Other very important considerations were:
    The boat had to be able to be righted by my boys. (Weighing about 120Lbs TOGETHER that leaves out a lot of multihulls!)
    Not too expensive
    Tough. This rotomolded stuff is. We tend to 'slide' the boat over a bunch of rocks to get to the water. It doesn't crack like fiberglass would.
    It's a LOT of fun! (And I'm a NACRA sailor)
    performace in front of wind is not great because of lack of a boom; However that has kept my younger sons brain from splattering all over the deck. (You can optionally buy the boom; I like my kid's brain...)

All in all I highly recommend this boat!

HiLomania

14. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

Yes - I sail my Bravo in the surf off South Florida... not quite as good as the 14's & 16's, but not bad.

15. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I didnt know about the Bravo until I read this thread, i´ve since looked it up on the net etc..

I´m looking for a simple yacht - safe, stable with some speed to introduce my twin 6 year old boys to sailing. Sounds as though it might be a better option that a simple monohull dingy and a bit for fun if dad whants to take it out on his own??

Thanks your thoughts.
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.