Open Source F1/SST45 Tunnel Hull Design

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by HaroldGhent, Jan 3, 2006.

1. HaroldGhent

HaroldGhent New Member

Hi All!

I am interested in designing an F1 type composite tunnel hull. I've attempted a few prototypes using rhino 2.0 but some of the curves are rather complex. There aren't any plans online so this is a scratch build from photos, measurements etc. I've been on this for about 2years now but realise I could do with some help from some experts. Whats different about this is that the 'open source' idea comes from, Linux, the GNU Public License and Linus Torvalds. Nobody 'owns' the Linux operating system, you are free to download and modify the core of the operating system and redistribute it so long as the source code is released etc. Likewise with this model you are free to contribute your ideas, criticise and modify the generic design etc. Whatever looks ok and gets the ok from the peers, stays but it all remains in the Public domain as an open source project.

For inspiration lok at www.f1boat.com, www.sst45.com, www.dacracing.com, www.gnu.org

Let my know if youre interested. I will get some webspace for the Rhino 2.0 project files.

2. HaroldGhent

HaroldGhent New Member

Open Source F1/SST45 Tunnel Hull Design: Files

Some images I am tracing over. I have loads of others I'm using for reference.

By averaging and measuring I hope to get a reasonably accurate model.

Have fun!

Attached Files:

3. yipster

yipster designer

4. HaroldGhent

HaroldGhent New Member

Yipster - Thanks,

I have Jim Russels book - "Secrets of Tunnel Boat Design" and am familiar with his TBDP, but I would like to evaluate and modify an existing design(s) and create a 3d-model that I and a few forum members can improve on in Rhino.

BTW pretty cool essay on your website.

5. anthony727

anthony727 New Member

HaroldGhent
    by any chance, can you post or email me the F1 Final.3dm file as an IGES?
    Regards,
    TS

6. HaroldGhent

HaroldGhent New Member

Here's the IGS

Hi Tony,

I attached the IGS version (saved to igs 'default' from Rhino 2.0)

Regards

Attached Files:

7. anthony727

anthony727 New Member

HaroldGhent
    How is the design coming along. I may have some stuff for you to look at as I too have been working on this.
    TS

8. Tore_M

Tore_M New Member

How's the project going?

I'm very interested in what you are doing, I've been trying to make a CAD out of a F1 before without any good result because of lack of experience. How's the designing going along?

Cheers

Tore

9. helio

helio New Member

Hi. Is this project still up? I'm currently searching the web for any drawings that give me some ideia of the proporcions of this kind of boat. I've already done a tunnel hull boat for a K&B motor (.11 in) from a friend's plans but i want to build another boat with better performance...I've some experience on CATIA 3d program so I only need dimensions...Is there anyone who want's to join in the project?
    (sorry to digout this thread)

10. wildbillkelso

wildbillkelso New Member

Hi.

I am currently working on a computer game project. It is F1 powerboats. I am writing my own as there are none available. I can not find any 3d models to use. I have found an unlimited hydroplane but that is not what I am looking for. I came across this post in my search. If anyone has any I can use it would be greatly appreciated. I have Blender so a suitable format would be great.

If any one can help please mail me at p-40.av8r@virgin.net

Many thanks and best regards.

Tim

11. froudedude

froudedude Junior Member

Rhino 2.0 is rather dated but can create very complex curves and surfaces, but these can be tricky. What exactly are you trying to do in Rhino that is aproblem?

12. froudedude

froudedude Junior Member

downloaded your file and it looks okay so far

13. Franklins

Franklins Junior Member

Hi guys just reading the post and see that some of you have the book Tunnel Boat Design". I am thinking about ordering one as well . I have built three boats already that has been v hulls. The first one was a bass boat style but the last two has been like off shore race hulls. I was looking for a new venture like a 24 cat hull.
    Do you guys that have this book think this would help me with a of shore cat style hull desinge along with good info on them?
    Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.