Open Source Boat Controller Project

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by MurphyLaw, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Senior Member

Ordered the latest Pi, it has a graphics coprocessor onboard, one of the first Small Board Computers to have this ability.
    I am going to try it because it is fast enough to do AI processing of images, and can bang out frame rates up to 700fps.
    Fast enough to recognise splashes and roosters and wave patterns and respond to them. Teach it to recognise cavitation and stuff like that.
    Should get it Monday and I am also looking for a linear bearing to mount my foil craft to.

This is about 1000 times faster than the Pi Zero at least. I can do the control with a zero but it will be a lot easier to do the development with the high frame rate being able to see effects happen at 1/700 of a second is a lot more revealing than 1/50 of a second of the Pi Zero.

It only cost $40 another $20 more than the Pi Zero, so what the hell.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ https://www.pishop.co.za/store/raspberry-pi-boards/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Senior Member

Rule number 3 of engineering if you don't come out almost double what you costed then you must have made a mistake, the design must be flawed. I set a strict budget and try and keep to it but always accept up to double that figure be the time I finish the project. This way I finish my projects and don't run out of money, cost it up, double it, that's what you need.

3. Xlayer0001

Xlayer0001 New Member

Hello,
    I am new to posting to forums. If I am not following proper net etiquette please forgive me. I came across this post doing research on building a foil controller for myself. My own project is an electric one man hydrofoil. Are you still working on this concept? What was the outcome of this project?

BlueBell likes this.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Hi X1,

Welcome to the forum.
    If you don't get what you're looking for within 24 - 48 hours, I'd suggest starting a new thread with more information.
    I have a keen interest in what you're doing.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.