Open letter (because I don't think I'm alone)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

Never mind Trev. It's the thought which counts, and thanks for the thought. But honestly (and I'm blushing at the unaccustomed modesty) I don't deserve half the 'reputation' I've been credited with. It's simple, down-to-heather Highland observation.
    And of course Jeff has never forgiven me for revealing his penchant for rubber-wear.:(

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

He meant it Trevs...he's an evil character (we use him to clone Tasmanian Devils)...and you should see the state of his lawn....:)

3. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Crikey, this suedo-Pom talk is becoming is becoming confusing, me hearties!

Max, do the done thing, you *******.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

Strewth Trev cobber, your lack of communication skill forces a technicolour yawn, chunter no less, fair put me dinkum bluey off his grog midway through straddling a darkie back o' the black stump. Had to tie his kangaroo down and toss another shrimp on the barbie...Tooeys...XXXX
    Can't say fairer than that....:)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

--------sorry I said anything------------

6. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Bergalia, Sir

Well tell me this, and tell me no more – you well known reprobate, deceiver of the people, public morals and “certain other things” – have ye checked out this video – billed here locally as Michael "Roo" Macher?

And, besides, Sir …

• England will meet France in the first semifinal
    • South Africa will meet Argentina in the other semifinal
    • Australia will meet New Zealand at the Airport

Entirely unrelated as you’ll surely understand…

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hmm,,,ya'all making me think i'm maybe without boat and doing that plumbers drug.heh

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

Entirely unrelated Trev. Kaptin-Jer raised the choice of vases in flower arranging. So if you can't stick to the subject in hand I suggest you move to the Boat design Forums....:(

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

So you got the Chrysler sold, finally, way to go. It was looking good the last I saw her. Okay, you didn't get any time on her other then the scrapped knuckles bit, but some of us have a tougher lot in life.

I've found there are two types of folks that do this sort of thing, ones that get through, somehow, inexorably, but completed, sort of and enjoy their handy work and others that find more in the almost masochistic side of the various projects. These people find joy in the work, not necessarily the launch or re-launch.

Doing it for a living, has a tendency of keeping you centered, so you finish, try not to bite off more then you can chew and get the client's check. Doing it because you love it, doesn't invoke these restraints, so you tackle the electrical rebuild, when a simple patch job could have sufficed.

I'm lucky and have enjoyed what I do, have been paid for it and would have done many projects just for the pleasure of working on that particular boat.

I too have a 1990 Mercedes, which need a fuel pump, a '55 Packard that I'll get around to some day, a pile of brick that's been sitting in the corner of the yard for 6 years, that the other half is convinced will be a knee wall around the garden eventually. Several boat projects, one sadly dieing a slow death because of my lack of enthusiasm for the old gal, that I'll have to drag to the land fill in a year or two.

There are doers and those that have to hire a doer. Jerry, you're a doer and your wife knows it. The Bennie will shape up (how's her stoved flank looking?) and maybe another interesting project will not drop into you lap before you've had a chance to get some spray in your face this time around. You got hit with a series of breaking waves in regard to your ability to enjoy the last few projects, but you'll find more, doers always seem to.

Make some time if you have to. Hell rent a boat or better yet, steal one away from a friends dock for an afternoon. The boat likely needs the company and you surely could use the medicinal value it provides as well. In a pinch, you could always go tease a few sharks with a surfboard. Talk with the little woman about it. I'll bet she'll drag your sorry butt down to the beach and push you into the nearest school of jelly fish she finds. This assumes you tell her the truth about how you feel.

Good to see your post again . . .

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

dont' come the raw prawn with me sport

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

'Morning Paul,
    I'll try to get a few words in between these insane Aussies. :D

I think I do get frustrated sometimes because I know that if I had five grand and 3 months of work time I could be sailing, but as you know, I still have to support my son for another 2 months (at least). He is in his final semester 3.5 GPA in International Finance with a minor in real estate. There is a parent week end coming up. I'll let you know when, and I'll make some time to meet with you.
    Always trying to do a $10,000 project for $5.00 can be frustrating. Especially when you need to do things right and you really can't cut corners, but I seem to "muck along" For example, I spent the last 3 week-ends pulling all the old wires out of the boat. I then cleaned and tested each run with a meter, then because of the European system, taped the brown, white and blue wires with our red, black, and green electrician's tape. Very time consuming, but look at all the money I saved. Today I will pull my first run from the shore power box to the main panel in the salon, and hopefully wire to the GFI. If all goes right I'll have a 110V refrigerator running in two weeks! Little goals, but thats the way to look at these projects. The Pics up above are current of the Benny. You can see the deck has been Awl Gripped (roll and Tip), and the caved-in piece of the salon looks straight, all new (salvaged) toe rails. I still have to bend 4 Stanchion gates, and that should substantially complete the topside. At the end of December (after I get my bonus money)I am going to haul her. Long board fair and then Awl Grip the hull I am trying to get that monster son of mine to help. He needs to use those muscles for something other than impressing girls. My plan is to then move her North. Right now I am in a Marina west of 95 and I can't raise a mast. I'll try to find a place around Delray behind someone's house. Then in two years I'll retire and move to your area around New Samerna. That's the plan and thats when I'll be sailing!!

Attached Files:

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

could you ask the dude thats owns the boat on the left of yours if its for sale?,,jus kidding, thats a nice job on the deck. i think people who use awl-grip are cool heh ;),, i dont see what your even having a problem with,,shoot i try doing $30,000 jobs fer $2.99 or less. and a project of my own as big as yours, shoot i would think 15 or 20 years is a fast schedule for me heh. well maybe a few years longer. i think ya doin good and doing it very timely . dont listen to those aussies i think their drinking kangaroo juice ;) kk before ya feelings get hurt,,,, i was jus kidding aussies <wife says i need to be gentle on em they sensitive hehehe :p ;)

13. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Messing About

The only thing better than messing about with boats is messing about with your kids and boats. I built the first one with my only son handing me stuff at 2 years old. I built the second one when he was 17 and his brothers were 15 and 13 and they all pitched in, and rebuilt and fixed her over the years and now she's still running at 29 years old. If I'm truly blessed, I'll build another one with my Grandchildren at age 70!

I have never ever regretted a minute I spent messing with the boats.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i have 3 kids, a son at 20 years old,and 2 girls, age 2 and 4, my son has always helped me, my 2 girls used to be mommy girls, but now when mom goes to town, the girls beg to stay and work with me,my son ,, well he begs ta go but he's my crane/forklift/dump-dude heh ;) he wishes i didnt have a broken neck hehe. the girls are boaters to the end, my 4 year old does sanding and my 2 year old is the go-fer. some guys have fishing with the kids, others wood working,fly tying , art,whatever,,its all the same thing, bringing ya kids up with pride in what they do, long talks with dad, learning respect,, and us dads get the therapy and peace of mind we need, knowing we taught our kids a hands on trade and the love of boating ;)

15. Buckie

Buckie Junior Member

WoW you got it bad M8....I'd get a life and share it with the family, don't give up on boats but there is a lot more to life than JUST BOATS.
    I live on a marina and while everyone works on their boats hardly anyone goes out on them. When they do its only for a few hours and thats it for another 6 months. Whats the point of spending all your time playing repair man....Keep it as a hoby and treat your family its more rewarding.
    I'm too looking at building boats but in a business sense to make money, 8-4 only though....don't get me wrong I love boats I can spend hours walking through the repair yard, watching them sweat all day, from 8am till 9pm, and there kids bored out of there heads sometimes falling asleep in the coils of rope....don't let it ruin your family life...

buckie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.