Keel options

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by watsonfleet, May 30, 2005.

1. watsonfleet

watsonfleet Junior Member

Hi
    I recently salvaged a 26 foot clipper daysailer but in the salvage operation I lost the keel (we had to get it off to float the boat off the shore) and now im am thinkin gof options for a new keel. I plan on using the boat for racing but i dont want to put excessive money into a new keel or time so i was thinking of a bulb keel extending about 5' or 6' from the bilge. The origanal keel was a +-4' skeg keel with a weight of about 450 pounds. please send me any ideas.
    Thanks

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Without re-engineering the hull you would be best advised to stick to her design. You have to look at the loads and how they are transmitted to the hull. Usually a keel change like you propose would need alterations to frames floors and hull.

3. watsonfleet

Im thnking of making a very simalar keel but but having it as a sheath where an extension will extend from and will have the bulb at the end of it

4. astevo

astevo Junior Member

any chance of salvaging the keel?
    otherwise just get castiron or steel and youll be right... dont waste your money on anyhting too fancy

5. watsonfleet

the keel was taken to the local dump by the goverment(idiots) so its gone. ive worked out how much lead ill need and its not much. thanks though

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.