how to design surface piercing foil????

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by leviathan, Jun 26, 2012.

1. leviathan

leviathan New Member

Dear all,

I''m Dian, an undergraduate student of department of naval architecture, currently I'm doing my final project with the topic of surface piercing foil, but I got some problems in designing the foil itself. Is there anyone that could give me any suggestions or references that would be a help??

Thanks and regards

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Get the AMV CD's from the International Hydrofoil Society. On CD #1 is a hydrofoil design manual by Hydronautics (TR-463-1). It covers design of hydrofoils in general, and has a whole chapter on ventilation, which is very important for surface piercing foils. There are other papers on the CDs that may be useful, too, such as the drag of surface piercing struts.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of recent material on surface piercing foils, and the interaction between the foil and surface is not well understood. This would be a very fruitful area to explore with a sophisticated CFD code.