One Piece Shower nit.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by JohnK, Jul 7, 2002.

1. JohnK

JohnK Junior Member

Where does one obtain the one piece shower units used in todays Boats?

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Could you better explain? Might just be me though.

3. james_r

james_r Junior Member

I'm assuming that you're talking about the head/shower compartment. Manufacturers will typically make it themselves out of fibreglass from a male mould of their own design.

4. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

That's what I was thinking, wanted to check.

5. JohnK

JohnK Junior Member

Sorry for the delay. Yes I am looking for the one piece shower/head units used by boat manufacturers. I wanted to know if these were like the ones you use in your home. Most of them look to be manufactured out of plastic. Thanks.

6. james_r

james_r Junior Member

Yes, they're pretty much made the same way as home shower units. The whole thing is made in one piece over an upside down male mould. Since it's not a structural item, it's usually laid up using a chopper gun or CSM. The only reinforcement is usually plywood or some other core material in the floor area. After popping off the mould any openings (door, drains, etc.) are cut and the unit is bonded to the hull and bulkheads.

7. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Mine are a little different the are fiberglass but do not need wood for stiffness the are built strong enough and shaped to where it is bonded to various parts of the vessel. (hull, sides, stringers, bulkheads, etc.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.