Give me some ideas please :)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blared, Oct 18, 2007.

1. blared

blared ALFA

Hey guys .. I have this wooden boat for over 10 years. It's time to change the way it looks. Please give me some ideas. Thanks:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yipster

yipster designer

it may be a big comfy matres on top but i vote for the bottom pic model :p

3. Hotel Lima

Hotel Lima Junior Member

What do you use it for? What do you want it to do?

4. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

view

I can't see the hydroplanes or the surface-piercing drive from this angle.

5. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

the lower profile top and swim platform give it a much sleeker look, i like the 3rd pic better too

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It appears you are after a picnic boat look. The bulk of the cockpit covering in the first two images seems quite out of proportion and styling with the rest of the boat. The last is much better, though instead of providing a lot of style to the longer pilothouse, with the drawn out, sweeping profile, I'd look at functionality first, then play with the styling.

I recently did something quite similar on a larger double ender. My approach was to keep the styling of the boat, but enhance it with a covered aft deck area. Two roof ideas were conceived, one a traditional framed assembly with covered, plywood sheathing atop. The one we used was a cored roof, thin plywood over 1" foam sandwich construction, which provided an extra couple of inches of headroom, no beams and an easy to clean, smooth look. This roof mimicked the crown in the pilothouse, the deck plan outline and sheer sweep. This required two layers of 1/8" plywood on each side of the foam to conform to the compound curves, but was easy to do. It rests on a handful of equally spaced 1 1/4" stainless tubes, much like the rails used and also has roll down canvas shades.

The look doesn't offend the original styling, in fact most think it was built this way, which is the best compliment you can get. I found the key to the look was the profile sweep and the relatively thin thickness of the new roof. Both the pilothouse and new roof were covered in one shot, to make them seamless which was a big visual help also.

Take some more pictures, particularly of the dead on profile and play with it in a drawing program. You'll find one that real stands out as the complementary touch for the boat, with most others looking like an add on.

7. blared

blared ALFA

I think this might be it.:cool:

[​IMG]

8. yipster

yipster designer

i'd say its it, you also raised the roof right? platform closer to the water? perhaps a swingout ss bar to canvas the stern?

9. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Put some rod holders on and maybe you have something.

10. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Are you nuts?! That's a great looking boat. Change the paint scheme, add some accessories, put a blond in a bikini on the bow.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.