on submitting images, diagrams and information

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dionysis, Feb 21, 2003.

1. dionysis

dionysis Senior Member

hi again,

When submitting images, diagrams or other explanatory information, does one have to worry about copywrite, and /or formally acknowledging sources etc.?

cheers, dionysis

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

If you use someone else’s work courtesy would dictate that you would give credit where it is due. No mater what the law says.

Gary :D

3. dionysis

dionysis Senior Member

thanks Gary, but...

Thanks Gary,

I am a very courteous person, :) and certainly would give credit where it is due. It is just that I was wondering about the legal requirements. I did not want to create any liability for the forum.

Perhaps there is no need to worry about it in an informal forum like this one. Nevertheless it would be good to get some clarification.

dionysis

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but my personal feeling is that as long as the source is credited so those interested can look at, visit, or purchase the book/reference/site if they're interested, there won't be a problem. I don't see anything here that an author or designer would disapprove of. And if a copyright owner did ever have a problem with a quote or chart or picture used from their book or site or other material despite credit being given to the source, I would remove it as soon as I was asked and then send a personal message to the poster to let them know (or if a poster was ever contacted by a copyright owner because of a misunderstanding, they could either edit their post to remove the cited item in question or post or send an email to webmaster@boatdesign.net and I would take care of it right away.)

5. dionysis

dionysis Senior Member

that's just what I wanted to know!

Thanks Jeff.

dionysis

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.