On-line Charts

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by ath, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ath

ath Junior Member

I'm aware of the Visual Passage Planner, NOAA and http://www.passageweather.com/. But is there a free on-line source of world charts that gives seasonal data (wind, wave, current, tide, sea temp etc)?

Much thanks!

2. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

This is a good question ath, and I'm surprised at the apparent answer. All NOAA charts are available for free download (http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm) in S-57 format and also in raster format (http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/index.htm).

Given the obvious effect good, up to date, charts have on safety I would have thought that all governments producing them would want to make them available to anyone who needs them. Making them available on a web page is not exactly expensive, after all. Yet, I just did a quick search and couldn't find any other source of free, downloadable charts. The ones I did find are quite expensive!

Are most governments holding safety hostage to profit? This will give them a very bad reputation . . . sort of like the US health care "system" of "your money or your life."

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Ok, different usage of the term chart there. I think ath was after weather charts.

OpenPilot will handle S-57 (enc) format charts, don't get too excited though, because at the moment it's not ready for human consumption (unless you really know what you're doing with it).

The US Charts are freely available, the UK Charts I reckon work out about the same cost as all the paper charts of the same area. Obviously I can't comment on the rest of the world, but I suspect it would be similar.

If anyone does find any really good weather sites which will provide vector data, I'd love to know.

Cheers,

Tim B.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

5. ath

ath Junior Member

Thank you for sharing this information. I was tossing about the idea of a some long passages and all my charts are at least tens years old. I haven't yet used chart plotting software. Trying to get an idea of what time of year to leave, how long it's going to take me, sails, supplies, tankage etc.
    Is anyone familiar with Visual Passage Planner? Are the pilots accurate?

Thanks again.

6. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Quote : Trying to get an idea of what time of year to leave, how long it's going to take me, sails, supplies, tankage etc.

Then again, have a closer look at Noonsite. It's a culmination of the work of Jimmy Cornell - author of World Cruising Routes. Get a copy of the book - it has all the info you seek.

Best!

7. ath

ath Junior Member

Thanks. A very informative site. What do the pros use to plan the optimum racing route? I found this site. It offers free software (after registration) to view current GRIB files on your PC. see attached...

Attached Files:

8. ath

ath Junior Member

To answer my own question and for anyone interested, Deckman V.9 seems to be the choice routing software. Also found Advantage and Expedition