omc trim and tilt problem

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by kenrahe, Sep 21, 2010.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

my trim and tilt for my outdrive runs and sounded empty i filled it but still wont raise or lower my outdrive does it have and impeller that might need replacing i diconnected the lines and ran it and no fluid came out was working great then just stopped..please help!!!!!!its in 1986 wellcraft with 5.7 omc the outdrive is a cobra

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If the reservoir is empty, there is a leak. You need a high pressure guage to test the system. However, if no oil comes out, the pump is not working at all. You should be able to get one without problem. Any OMC or VolvoPenta pump can be made to work. The newer ones have different fittings and you'll need an adaptor.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You need to bleed the system most likely. This assumes the system is working and the lines intact. The most common locations for problems are leaks at the distribution block and external lines/hoses and the cylinders. Unfortunately, on that drive the drive has to come off the boat to access the external lines and distribution block. Considering it's age, it would be typical if everything was shot. Be careful with the distribution block, it's easy to strip and a replacement part isn't easy to find. You'll need Mallory parts MAL9-71602 though 605 and MAL9-71601 (2x), just for the hoses. You can do this at home if you like, but removing the drive is best left to someone that has experience with this, an engine hoist and the right tools. Since the drive has to come off, you should also toss a transom service kit at it, which will take care of the bearing, bellows, gaskets and seals. Before you put it back together, you should also check to see if the shift cable recall was preformed.

4. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

also what should the resivour be filled is it tranny fluid or someone told me 30 weight nondetergent oil. with i could not find the fiull plug so i opened the drain plug to check for fluid

5. PAR

It depends on which one you have, does it look like this?

[​IMG]

ATF works with this pump.

6. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

no it looks like this !B2mmWiQ!2k~$(KGrHqEOKj0EyLWK55U)BMjOM-oeDQ~~_35[1].jpg and would you know where the fill is

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. PAR

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I'm fairly sure it has two plugs on the top, one is a vent the other a filler. Pour in oil until it comes out the other hole. Picking up an OMC manual for your year can solve a lot of head scratching.

[​IMG]

It'll be the best 30 bucks you spend on the boat.

8. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

is that one better than a seloc manual i have one on my omc but it dose'nt have the best diagrams.also the only screw hole i find seems to be the drian hole on the bottom of the resivore my oputdrive was working great until last trip my fuel gauge was way off an i ran out of fuel and haqd to be towed back to my marina.went to raise my outdrive and pump didn't sound right it sounded like it was running fast and loud.

9. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

also outdrive was rebuilt this year new gimbal bearing ,exhaust bellows, u joint bellows, water pump,and all new transom gaskets

10. PAR

It would be a very rare thing for the hydraulic lines to have been changed unless you asked for them to be changed, so in spite of the drive rebuild, you may have issues. Removing the drive isn't that difficult on that model, but you do have to have a clue about it or you'll drive yourself nuts. Diagnosing the issue(s) with your trim pump or what ever is a fairly easy mission for a technician. For example I could have a good idea what going on, in about 5 minutes of investigating, so it may be best just to have the problem diagnosed by someone familiar with these systems. Most shops will charge very little to look over you trim/tilt assembly and offer a diagnose. You can then go home and change out what ever parts you need to.

11. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

my boat is still in the water is there anything i can do or do i need to have it pulled out!!!! also is my seloc manual as good as the one you told me to look into getting

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.