OMC to Ford 5.0

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by AndrewH, Jan 29, 2008.

1. AndrewH

AndrewH New Member

I'm new to boats, so I'm not sure exactly what will and will not work.

I inherited a '78-'79 Marlin and it needs some resto help. The engine supposedly runs (it does turn over), but needs lots of TLC.

My question is: Would it work, is it possible, is it legal, etc. for me to take out the OMC 4 banger and install a Ford 5.0 that I have?

Any help or steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

You can put anything in a boat if it can handle the weight and HP. The only real issues you will have are these- (1) the outdrive is geared differently for a 4cyl vs. 8 cyl. You could try to re-prop it but that still might not give the proper (no pun intended) performance. (2) Is the current block a Ford? If not you can get on eBay and find the right bellhousing. It's either Ford or Chevy, and of course we know all smallblocks of the same make have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. (3) you'll have to relocate the motor mounts.

I think that's about it. If you are mechanically knowledgable this is something easily do-able.

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

I assume your 5.0 is an Automotive type? If so, don't forget the Required Safety changes:

1. Electrical components will need to be changed - Starter, alternator and Ignition. Must be marine type (enclosed to prevent sparks)
    2. Fuel system - Marine carb, Flame arrestor and Fuel Pump.

Auto parts will work, but might go Boom. Don't take the chance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.