Bayliner 2.3 turbo

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Israel, May 26, 2018.

1. Israel

Israel Junior Member

Hello, new to the site. Thanks in advance. I am replacing the stock 2.3 ford engine with an 88 ford 2.3 efi turbo on a 87 bayliner.. Any ideas, coments or feedback on this?
    Thanks again.

2. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

To confirm, this is a late 80's OMC 2.3L I assume?

3. Israel

Israel Junior Member

You are correct.

4. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Are you looking to replace the long block and keep the balance of the original marine accessories? Or are you attempting to install the SVO 2.3 in it's place?

5. Israel

Israel Junior Member

Im looking at installing the svo in its place. I have the engine, computer, wiring harness, and aluminum radiator with fans. I would rid the marine. I plan on having propper ventilation as i have read that heat in the compartment would be an issue. I've searched various forums and found it to be a not so common or bad swap. However im determined to go through with it. Your time and assistance are greatly appreciated.

6. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

You'll want to maintain the water cooling system from the original. You'll also need to maintain the water cooled exhaust manifold. The engine is under the seats in it's own compartment. Even if you removed the compartment completely, you wouldn't get enough airflow to cool the radiator never mind keep the exhaust cool enough. I completely understand the desire to try to make this work, however I have to advise against it. You can likely take the long block from the car and install the marine components onto it and get running.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can't use the water cooled exhaust for a turbo. The heat in the exhaust gas is the energy the turbocharges uses to convert into mechanical power. The manifold and turbo have to be insulated. The fuel injection system is going to be a problem, since the automotive systems have the pump inside the fuel tank.

8. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I was recommending that the turbo be scrapped, and the OMC exhaust be used in it's entirety :)

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

OK, that is different and would work. The fuel issue still remains. It may be easier to only use the long block. However, I don't know if the fuel injected blocks are machined to accept the mechanical fuel pump. Otherwise, an electric pump with a oil pressure safety shut-off is needed.

10. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Agreed! Without knowing the skill set of the O.P. this one doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies...

11. Israel

Israel Junior Member

Thank you guys for sharing your expertise. I will write up a good plan of action adressing the issues you guys mentioned.
    Airflow
    Fuel system
    Exhaust system
    Oil pressure shut off switch

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.