noise in lower end

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by HILTONONE, Aug 16, 2006.

1. HILTONONE

HILTONONE New Member

i have a 5.0 w/alpha one and was out going about 40 mph and spun the prop. ever sence then i have a noise comming from the lower end , only when i rase it up.i was also getting noise from water pump and replaced it. u joints are fairly new and look in good shap. any one have an idea of what it may be?:confused: :confused:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. alex fletcher

alex fletcher Junior Member

Your uinivesral joints are worn, or your motor alinement is out, you will need special tools to set the alignment and a fit up kit for when you remove the leg and may be 2 uni joints.

3. Toot

Toot Senior Member

When I get noise in my lower end, it's usually the result of a bad bean burrito.

Thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartenders.

4. HILTONONE

HILTONONE New Member

Thanks for the response, the uinivesral joints are new, i bet my motor alinement is out! It happend too fast! I also notice a squeling noise, like a loose fan belt would make that wasent there before. im sure you cant tell by eye if it is out of alinement, so how would i check that? This is my first season and am as green as they get!!!

5. Benjino

Benjino New Member

As mentioned in another post you need a special tool but i would suggest removing the leg and checking the bearing in the transom shield by turning it with your fingers and felling for anywear. Unless you can borrow an allingnment shaft or have access to a lathe to make one this is a job for your local service agent

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im concerned that you say it only started since you spun a prop?,-- so did you replace or rebush?. Check to see if the prop was re-bushed in the same place and that the prop is not touching the leg housing. Similarly if you fit a new prop,-- same thing. You need to shim out sometimes. I dont think they were ever meant to be run with the leg full up , but they are generally noisier in that position.

7. alex fletcher

alex fletcher Junior Member

hilton Just thought have you checked that the trim limit is it operating and is it set to the right height it may be too high allowing the leg to go into the trailer position

8. HILTONONE

HILTONONE New Member

Dont laugh, but what is the leg? I replaced the prop with a new one. I can spin it by hand and it dosnt hit anything.How do i check that the trim limit is operating and that it is set to the right height?

9. Preformer 40

Preformer 40 Junior Member

Check the gimble bearing,This bearing go bad alot and can cause noise.Theres a zerk on the transom plate that will allow grease to get into this bearing

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.