Olympic Chase Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JCNalen, Aug 23, 2008.

1. JCNalen

JCNalen New Member

If you have watched the long distance swimming or rowing competitions in the Olympics, you have no doubt seen the white chase/camera boats that they are using. The are multi-hull pontoon/cat style with a deck. I am wanting to find more pictures of these, specs, designer, name and so forth. Thanks

2. SnappingTurtle

SnappingTurtle Snapping Turtle

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

If you are talking about the boats that are shown below, then the guy you should be contacting is:

Bob Whitford
    Sacramento State Aquatic Center
    1901 Hazel Ave., Gold River, CA 95670
    email: mailto:bwhit@csus.edu

Bob's great guy who runs the aquatic center for Sacramento State University. They have one of the premier rowing and paddling facilities in the US and hold many of the big, national rowing regattas on the west coast.

Coincidentally, his brother, Billy, is the executive director at the Newport Aquatic Center in Newport Beach, CA.

Chris

Attached Files:

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Do You have picture of those boats?

I think those they used in Olympics is our design (www.amdesign.co.th).
    Built in Qindao by NauticStar.

Attached Files:

5. JCNalen

JCNalen New Member

That would be them. I see many uses for those little guys. One could use them to offer "Harbor Tours" or something like that. It seems to have good speed, great stability and no, or little, wake. I wonder what size motor they require? These seem to be used a lot for rowing. Is that because of the no wake? How does the motor being almost midship effect the handling?

Alik, I tried to go to your website, but it wouldn't go through. Do you have another link?

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Please try http://www.amdesign.co.th/

Motor is 60HP, boat is designed for speed of 15kts. Payload - up to 1000 kg.
    Important requirement was to mimimize wavemaking.

Steering - on our boat motor is fixed straight, and we use rudders with crossbar and steering system.

7. bwhit

bwhit New Member

Hello, my name is Bob Whitford, owner/builder of the "Whitcat" rowing and paddling safety launch. The pictures posted by Chris where taken here at Lake Natoma, CA during the NCAA Women's National Championships. My boats "bow down" at the bow when walk forward and there is low free board in the stern so I do not have a boarding ladder. I could build one if you wish. But I don't think you want one for my boat. I do not have any boats on the Montlake Cut.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.