old wooden boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by urisvan, Nov 17, 2009.

1. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

hello,
    please explore the photos, and say sometihing about the flaws, needed repairs, places to look more closely...
    i am sure that she is a lucky woman, a lot of eyes will look at her.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tetranora/Tetranora#

regards
    ulas

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

I guess, we should look a bit closer. In Marmaris. But lets talk tomorrow.
    Meanwhile lookup Ufuk Cakmak, that name rings a bell, but do´nt know why?

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

So then,

tomorrow we will give the junk a survey! If she is in good condition and Ulas buys her, we will sail her to Stambul.
    So far goes the plan. Lets see what life brings.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

So then.

Ulas bought the boat, and we started bringing her closer to his home.
    Half the way I had to leave the boat due to a business meeting. The two (Ulas and Ahmet, a experienced sailor) are still on the road.

The boat was found in good condition, completely dry inside, no rot, no stains from water ingress, no mold, no mildew.
    Obviously the recent owner just kept her clean (extremely important) and optically in good condition. Although it was said the engine was completely overhauled (I have no reason for a doubt after 50 engine hours but I´m not sure).
    Electronics are old or shot. Tiller pilot, echosounder, speedo are gone, the VHF and GPS did work when I left the boat.

There are some issues of the severe sort though.
    The mastfoot is of galvanized steel, the mast of aluminium, the wedges to hold the palm upright are of wood!!!!!!!
    What a clever combination. (for school experiments on electrolyzis)

That has to be checked immediately and replaced by a proper solution.
    The mainsail seems to be a redone jib, it does´nt pull the sausage from the dish.
    The mainframe under the mast (bulkhead opening between saloon and loo) has a visible crack which might be in one layer of several only. But even when it is going through, it is easily to repair. I doubt it does, `cos no movement was seen even under some proper load while sailing.
    Keelbolts need to be renewed (tw of them soon), prop needs to be balanced, hull to be washed.
    Nothing one would not expect on every boat of similar age.

And of course, Ulas needs to learn how to handle her. He did notice right the first evening, that real sailing is a bit different from the dinghy and windsurfing sailing he is so used with.

Apart of that, we had two enjoyable nights on the Greek Islands Symi and Kos, although my crew had neither Visa, nor even a passport. (I checked us in though, anyway, two "illegal" Turks in Greece!)

Now lets wait for the final report about the trip (and probably more issues?)

Regards
    Richard

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Congratulations and more pictures please . . .

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Apart from "touristic" shots, there are´nt any. The owner was right besides me when i did the inspection, no proof needed.
    But when you like the others (showing Greece ports, the boat, the crew, the Taverna and the way we enjoyed life?
    I just must scale them down, size is between 5 and 12 mb per picture.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Pictures

Here are some:

edit: connection is too slow, I´ll try to add some more another day.
    This is Symi (Greek Island) Master and Owner, from left. And one from the Taverna........a old German sack, a constructor on Symi, and a Seaman from Kriti. The laughter is international when there are no tourists around.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  8. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

You amaze me sometimes , Richard......:D

Diplomat too.......:D

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

There is a bit more behind that as you may assume. Even a Ambassador is not able to manage a legal entry without proper visa. I did though. But one needs of course a official, willing to grab the phone and risk a bawling out, especially on a Saturday night.

the Crew list............and the "magic" stamp.

Attached Files:

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

I added a few more pictures above, The boat is registered in Wilmington Delaware btw.!

Regards
    Richard

11. PAR

That means it was a corporate write off (company boat) and taking advantage of the very favorable tax rates there. Most of the major US corporations are incorporated in Delaware, as am I.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Of course!

You know there was a experienced advisor involved in the deal?:D

13. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Really? I thought YOU were involved? :p :cool: :D

1 person likes this.
  14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm, ja, sorry................did hope no one does notice.

15. PAR

'Ya get what you pay for . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.