old tools

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lazeyjack, Jul 22, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

some of you guys might be interested, these were my dads tools
    Strange hopw modern things have taken awy lots of skills, like sharpening saw blades by hand,
    thinks like the planer(buzzer) instead of a number 6 plane, the compound slide saw, doing most of the work a tenon saw did

Attached Files:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think it really nice that you used your Father tools as a decorative feature in the lounge. Its difficult to know what to do with stuff like this. Must be a dusting nightmare.

WWhhhhooaaa is that your underpants on the clothes horse?

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

never ever get rid of your fathers tools ,,that is a fantastic colletion ,,you can build a boat (almost) of what is there,,,hand tools are a lost thing ,,many dont know how to use them ,,the planer for example ,,how many know how to square a board?,,and you have end plainers ,,box plainers,,,,,,,all stained withe your fathers sweat,,,,,too cool,,longliner,,,cant make out the stuff on the bottom,,,what is there,longliner

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

thats mas cabin, he died, as they do, 85, worked like a horse all his life,, got his machines lathes etc, all wrapped in sacking with oil, , , thanks John, fcrosty

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Beaut collection Lazyjack, reckon your Dad must have bought half that stuff off Noah.

This is Australia Frosty, we don't have dust here.

Poida

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Dammit Stu - I have to nag you about the state of your lawn...Now I've got to shout at you for sitting the planes (box, jack and smoothing) on their face...Never, I repeat never my boy set them down on their face - it ruins the edge of the blade. Planes should be placed on their side... Did your dad teach you nothing...?
    But what a great collection. It really is a worthwhile inheritance, and I trust they're not just a 'static' display. Pick them up, get a sense of your father's skills, and craft. Feel his 'spirit' because it will be there, as deeply ingrained as the timbers he worked.

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Beautiful collection. Is that a draw knife toppish/center?

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

i've got a similar (though smaller) shelf unit in the shop. Mostly iron planes, spokeshaves, and various old marking and cutting implements.
    A couple I got 25 years ago when I started out. The rest are from yard sales and here and there. They are all sharpened and ready to use, which is a good thing, because hand tools made nowadays (unless you are wealthy) are mostly not worth a damn.
    Yesterday I used a router with a flush-cutting bit to cut off the overlap of the 1/2" deck ply over a frame where a crossing coaming will be screwed. the router didn't make it into the end corners all the way, so I pared the rest off with a one hundred year old barn slick. No other tool could have done a better job. Note I didn't use a jack or block plane to cut the middle part. It would have been quicker than putting a bit in a collet and dragging out an extension cord, but that epoxy is hard on blades.
    It's nice to have the modern power tools and the old tools as well.
    Sometimes I do it the slow way just because I have time and the tools are so quiet and friendly.

alan

1 person likes this.
  9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Lazeyjack,
    On the shelf below the bowsaw, second tool from the right is a planelike tool with a curved handle on the end, and another one two shelves below it. Are those planes or scrapers?

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

draw knives , for rounding, Sam Sam., Bergs they are never used, I learnt at 5 to lay em on their sides, , the big jacks got used a fair bit
    Want to hear a funnt story,My bRother was telling me, that he took a tingsten blad in for sharpening, one of Dads, the guy said "someone has tried to set this" so funny, you cant set tungsten its already set, But he would set and sharpen anything so he knew not His modern Jacks seem to have gone astray, suspect my brother in law, thanks all for nice words

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I'm curious. I do quite a bit of scraping (for a living too, hahha). In any case, I use saw blades--- cut then to size, file and hone the edges square, and draw a hard (usu. fat round screwdriver) across the sharp corners (four edges). The result is a tool that can do what a sander can't, and faster too in many cases. I just wonder if anyone else uses scrapers.
    I learned scraping early on,about the time I was working in a custom furniture shop. You could take a table top sanded with 35 grit and scrape for fifteen minutes and touch it uo with 240 grit or finer, and be done.
    Scraping can't be done on soft woods. A good all-shape scraper set can be made from a smashed glass bottle. Anyone who works on boats and doesn;t yet use one is missing out. While most old-time tools have been replaced by power tools, the scraper, like the plane or the spokeshave, are the best tool for some jobs, and nothing else comes close.

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes Alan I use one all the time, I used to use Scarsten then I discovered another brand with four edged blade, using a smooth file I can make like razor, and drawing it towards the body with varying pressure on the tool head I can strip a table top in minutes, I then use a long board to flatten the top, three feet long same as used for fairing hulls

Attached Files:

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I've found that if you sharpen the blades of metal paint strippers - the Triangular; Pointed with Round Heel; and Straight Flat, they give you a variety of 'scraping' edges - and as Stu and Alan say, far superior to modern power tools.
    And it's nice to get 'intimate' with the wood you are working on.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Lazy judging by the height of your bicycle seat, I am guessing you are vertically challenged.

Have you noticed that in most photographs of Lazies he has somewhere in the photo some underpants.

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Fetish :rolleyes: