Old School trawler look on Devlin Dipper 16

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Chaps, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Chaps

Chaps Junior Member

I was looking for a small trailerable trawler for fishing and James Jones was selling a hull with primary bulkheads installed. If you know stitch and glue, you know that your 1088 is bent around them and it is pretty hard to have a hull without them. Devlin's site, in the gallery section still has James Jones listed as owner and has pictures show how far he took it.

I chose this design, because I like the way the dipper seems overbuilt and rugged for her size.

But I wanted a bit more of an old school look to her deck house. Attached is a progress photo.

My forward deckhouse bulkhead is laminated in a curve and incredibly strong. I see why old trawlers were built that way.

If not for resent military deployments, I would be done...

I hope you enjoy the photo. I will send angles and what the inside looks like if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

2. Chaps

Chaps Junior Member

The end result

I took Devlin's plan and lost the widened lower pilothouse trunk so I could have a walk around deck without walking on the trunk. I widened the pilothouse a few inches so I would not loose all that space. There is now room for some bulwarks which are not shown in the picture I previously posted.

Here is a scan of the profile that I colorized on photoshop. When I was at sea, and could not work on my boat, I doodled on my computer.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett New Member

great work on your dipper

Hello Chaps, i very much like your redesign of the dipper. I have been looking for 2 years now for a cabin design for my 19 ft double ender. I was down to 2 designs, the northcoaster by tad roberts and the dipper 16 through 22 ft by sam devlin. May i please have any additional info or photos of your boat?

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Looks like you're think'in about troller not trawlers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.