Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Here is the same boat on the French QT site: http://quartertonclass.free.fr/bateau_bullit.htm

They claim it is the '79 and '80 Worlds winner.

The bow and sheerline look the same. Of course the excess transom overhang had to be cut off when the IOR rule changed around '81.

I suppose you could contact the owner to get more info.

Attached Files:

2. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

The magazine (Vroom, issue 50/79) turned out to be French. I've integrated the mag results list (ten first placings with individual race results) with other previous known sources. There is an uncertainty regarding Bullit's individual race results which differ from other sources:
    Quarter Ton Cup 1979, San Remo, 56 boats, 17 Nations (40 boats in Italian trials)
    1 FRA 7891, 10, 5, 9, 2, 1, "Bullit", Fauroux-79,frp Jacques Fauroux, Dominique Capparos(also builder)
    2 ITA 8830, 2, 2, 8, 3, 10, "Son of a Gun", Fontana-Maletto-79,veneer Paul Elvström, Saruggia, Franco Zamorani?
    3 ITA 8769, 20, 6, 16, 4, 3, "Liza", Jezequel-??, Albarelli
    4 ITA 8754, 13, 8, 6, 10, 11, "Los Angeles", Jezequel-??, Guglielmetti under Swiss flag
    5 US 22859, 18, 10, 19, 7, 2, "Mister Magoo", Joubert-Nivelt-??, Gilbert Browstone, N Langlois
    6 ITA 8880, 7, 19, 5, 28, 4, "M & B", Jezequel-79,wood Tonoli
    7 ITA 8810, 5, 16, 2, 36, 6, "Paola V" Jezequel-79,wood Alain Jezequel, Loman? under German flag
    8 ITA 8709, 9, 21, 4, 5, 18, "Cri-Cri", Jezequel116-??, Benelli
    9 ITA 8696, 4, 1, 31, 1, 13, "Free Way", Jezequel116-79,kevlar Newlands under British flag
    10 FRA 7797, 20, 4, 17, 12, 9, "Chipeau", Fauroux-79,frp Bouisson

11 FRA XXXX, , , 1, , , "Bigouden", Joubert-Nivelt-??, N Dupuis, Pichavant(also builder)
    12 FRA 7849,29, 7, 24, 8, 7, "Bouffareou", Fauroux-79,frp
    13 FRA 7551, , , , , , "Bill", Fauroux-79,frp Louvet
    14 FRA 7817, , , , , , "Nenufarr", Farr-??, Gendron
    15 FRA XXXX, , 18, 7, , , "Telephon Bill", Holland-77(??),Manzanita Pedro Luis Millet under Spanish flag.
    16 ITA XXXX, , , , , , "Piccola", Farr-79,
    17 , , , , , , "Ommagio Flo" , under Swiss flag
    18 ITA XXXX, , , , , , "Teneramente", Sciomachen-??,
    19 GER XXXX, , , , , , "Timschall", Nissen-??,
    20 GER XXXX, , , , , , "Quadriga", Judel/Vrolijk-79,
    GER XXXX, , , , , , "Wahnsinn", Van de Stadt-??,
    FRA 789*, , , , , , "Kermit", Joubert-Nivelt-??, *) 3 or 7, most probable 7.
    FRA XXXX, , , , , , "Brise de Hurte", Joubert-Nivelt-??,
    FRA XXXX, , , , , , "Cordatlan", Holland-77(??),Manzanita
    ESP XXXX, , 25,dnf, 6, , "Flavia", Holland-77(??),Manzanita Lorónzo Galmes
    ESP XXXX, , 35, 37, ,dnc, "Kevlara", Holland-77(??),Manzanita J. Recasens
    ESP XXXX, , 45, 23, , dnf, "Bonanzito", Holland-77(??),Manzanita Guillermo Cryns
    FIN XXXX, , , , , ,
    SWEXXXX, , , , , , "Butterfly", Norlin-77,
    SWEXXXX, , , , , , "Äpplet", Holland-77(??),Manzanita Mons Billgren
    HOL XXXX, , , , , , "Poivre et Sel", Dobelmann-79,
    HOL XXXX, , , , , , "Balletent", De Ridder-??,
    POL XXXX, , , , , , "Czarny Kon", Peterson-79,Konrad-25(Konrad760)
    AUT XXXX, , , , , , "
    SUI XXXX, , , , , , "Gamma", Carter-79,
    37 DEN XXXX, , , , , , "Sparegrisen", Bruun-??,
    SUI XXXX, , , , , , "Ritmo", , Taodei?
    USA XXXX, , , , , , "Parade", Monhaupt-Rode-79,
    MEX XXXX, , , , , , "Mazatlan", Holland-77(??),Manzanita
    ARG XXXX, , , , , , "
    AUS XXXX, , , , , , "Captain Moonlight", Whiting-79,
    NZL XXXX, , , , , , "Hi Flyer", Davidson-79,
    XXX XXXX (14)

? ?, I 8857
    ? ?, I 886?
    ? ?, I 8875
    ? ?, G 1191
    Jezequel 11 pcs.
    Holland 9 pcs.

3. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

..and here is the text (Vroom issue 50/79), translated thru Google, don't pick on me:
    QUARTER TON CUP SAN REMO
    Created a little over ten years, in 1967 in La Rochelle, the Quarter Ton Cup (boats 18.5 feet) after being held in 1977 in Helsinki in 1978 in Yokosuka (Japan), was this time more Latin. The Yacht Club Italiano and the Yacht Club of San Remo, responsible for hosting the 56 candidates, representing seventeen nations, implanted pathways impeccable, though sometimes considered too close to earth by cons caravans camped in which any the organisation did not offer the amenities of a meeting room or even a small club, depriving the skippers of some form of tactical ground during meetings and conversations.
    Italy had never made so much effort into this cup. Sciomachen, Jezequel, Maletto, had spent their Caran d'Ache and forty boats clashed at the selections in San Remo. In five years the Italian fleet of Class VI is considerable, on the Litoral and lakes, with crews from the dinghy, but especially in the young implusion armatore new generation, whose fathers offered the admiral's and leave the small yachts to their children. Very recently, the soft carpet of the Yacht Club Italiano, was still prohibited to dogs docks. Only through the action of "urchins" sports and golden, the most famous was Margherita Bottini quarters that were admitted as a full boat.
    The Italians are relaxed, and when they have the opportunity, prefer to run WITH THEIR region. Thus the non-selected teams, juggling ent with national pavilions and that most of these were Italians, Dutchmen, Italians, Germans, Italians, British and Italians itself. On paper at least. Alain Jezequel appeared as the winner with eleven boats present, then came Ron Holland with nine quarters, then Jacques Fauroux, Joubert-Nivelt group Fontana Maletto-Navona.
    However we noted only two Bruce Farr, Dick Carter and Norlin. While some amateur construction did not exceed 1,800,000 lire to austrinis performed by professionals, peaking at 33,000,000 lire. Accompanied by strong budgets of racing. Despite some considerable expense for this size yacht, the Italian-quarter remained a battle of teams and not wealthy owners as observed in large classes of IOR
    Porca Miseria! Italy cried in chorus, because against all odds, and after a fantastic race, 'Bullit', led by 'Jacques Fauroux' and 'Dominique Capparos' (the manufacturer) won the cup. Yet few hours earlier, 'Paul Elvström' (Sun Of The Gun) and 'Alain Jezequel' (Paola V) watched each other fiercely, seeing in each other's worst enemies. Unfortunately for them it was not counting the team Bullit and his excellent knowledge of course the big race.
    'Bullit' in 1978, the prototype was built molded wood per 'Dominique Caparros' (who learned his art from "Félix Silvestro'). A small round plastic, 'Bullit' was fired last winter: 'Bouffareou', 'Bill gadwall' are few. Behind 'Bullit', 'Sun Of The Gun' led by 'Paul Evström' (which can not count the titles of Olympic and world champion). 'Sun Of The Gun' was designed by the group 'Maletto-Fontana Navona', yet this forty senbla less comfortable than the 'Jezequel' in light airs. 'Alain Jezequel' French architect installed in Italy, carried out a small sailboat amazing time in the top ten on no fewer than six 'Jezequel' sisterhip. A performance that could well be some sort of farewell Jezequel-runner, marked by very small prototypes that wonderful creation, it is now anxious to move into larger units, the onetonne and boats cruising speed. Considering that the race requires huge preparations for the outcome uncertain, he took the resulting select its customers and the skippers who will ensure the success of his creations. Bruce Farr to be observed at the same point, and no longer want to confide his plans to talent confirmed.

4. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

...and here is the original french text:
    QUARTER TON CUP SAN REMO
    Créee il ya un peu plus de dix ans, en 1967 á La Rochelle, la Quarter ton cup (bateaux de 18,5 pieds) aprés s’ètre déroulée en 1977 á Helsinki, en 1978 á Yokosuka (Japon), était cette fois plus latine. Le Yacht-Club Italiano et le Yacht-Club de San Remo, chargés d’accueillir les 56 candidats, représentant dix-sept nations, implantèrent des parcours impeccables, bien que parfois jugés trop près de terre; par contre les caravanes dans lesqueles campait toute l’orgnisation n’offrirent pas les commodités d’une salle de réunion ou même d’un petit club, privant le skippers d’une forme de tactique terrestre, lors des rencontres et des conversations.
    Jamais l’Italie n’avait fait autant d’efforts pour cette coupe. Sciomachen, Jezequel, Maletto, avaient usé leurs “Caran d´Ache” et quarante bateaux s’étaient affrontés lors des sélections à San Remo. En cinq ans la flotte italienne de classe VI est devenue considérable, sur le litoral et les lacs, grâce aux équipages venus du dériveur, mais surtout sous l’implusion de jeunes “armatores” nouvelle génération, dont les papas s’offrent des admiraler´s et laissent les petits voiliers à leurs enfants. Trés récemment, la moelleuse moquette du Yacht-Club Italiano, était encore interdite aux chiens des quais. Ce n’est que grâce à l’action de “galopins” sportifs et dorés, dont la plus célébre fut Margherita Bottini que les quarters furent admis comme bateaux à part entière.
    Les Italiens sont casaniers, et lorsqu’ils en ont l’opportunité, préfèrent courir dansleur région. C’est ainsi que les équipes non sélectionnées, jonglèrent avec les pavilions nationaux et que l’essentiel des inscrits étaint des Italiens-Hollandais, des Italiens-Allemands, des Italiens-Anglais et des Italiens proprement dit. Sur le papier tout au moines. Alain Jezequel apparaissait comme le grand vainqueur avec onze bateaux présents, venait ensuite Ron Holland avec neuf quarters, puis Jacques Fauroux Joubert-Nivelt, le groupe Fontana-Maletto-Navone. En revanche on notait seulement deux Bruce Farr, un Dick Carter et un Norlin. Tandis que certaines constructions d’amateurs ne dépassaient pas 1.800.000 lires, d’austres réalisées par des professionnels, atteignaient des sommets à 33.000.000 lires. Accompagnées de solides budgets de course. Malgré certaines dépenses considérables pour cette taille de voiliers, la quarter à lÍtalienne est restée une lutte d’équipages et non pas de riches propriétaires comme on l’observe dans les grandes classes de l’I.O.R.
    Porca Miseria!!! s’écria l’Italie en choeur, car contre toute attente, et après une magnifique course, ‘Bullit’, sous la conduite de ‘Jacques Fauroux’ et de ‘Dominique Capparos’ (son constructeur) remporta la coupe. Et pourtant quelques heures plus tôt, ‘Paul Elvström’ (Sun Of the Gun) et ‘Alain Jezequel’ (Paola V) s’observaient áprement, chacun voyant dans l’autre le pire des adversaires. Malheureusement pour eux c’était sans compter l’equipe de Bullit et son excellente connaissance du parcours de la grande course.
    ’Bullit’ en 1978, le prototype en bois moulé fut construit per ’Dominique Caparros’ (qui apprit son art chez ‘Félix Silvestro’). Une petite série plastique, de ‘Bullit’ fut tirée l’hiver dernier: ‘Bouffareou’, ‘Bill Chipeau’ sont de ceux-là. Derrière ‘Bullit’, ‘Sun Of the Gun’ mené par ‘Paul Evström’ (dont on ne compte plus les titres olympiques et de champion du monde). ‘Sun Of the Gun’ a été dessiné par le group ‘Maletto-Fontana-Navone’; cependant ce quarer senbla moins à l’aise que le ‘Jezequel’ dans les petits airs. ‘Alain Jezequel’, architecte francais installé en Italie, a réalisé là, un étonnant voilier de petit temps, dans les dix premiers on ne comptait pas moins de six ‘Jezequel’ sisterhip. Une performance qui pourrait bien être en quelque sorte les adieux de Jezequel-coureur, très marqué par les merveilleux petits protos qu’il créa, il est aujourd’hui soucieux de s’orienter vers des unités plus importantes, des oneton et des bateaux de croisières rapides. Estimant que la régate exige d’énormes préparatifs pour des résultats hasardeux, il a prit la résulation de sélectionner ses clients et les skippers qui assureront le succès de ses créations. Bruce Farr qui observait en étre au même point, et ne plus vouloir confier ses plans qu’à des talents confirmés.

5. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

...while photos (b/w so so quality) will have to wait for my broken scanner to be replaced.
    Now Booster, fill in the blanks!!!

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

In the first 21 mile race beat to top mark Bullit was not with the top 5 but at the wing mark was up to second then went on to win by an embarrassing 6 minutes ahead of the Davidson Hellaby. Second race in fresh conditions the Farr Anchor Challenge was first to top mark, but Bullit came through to lead once the spinnakers came out - later suffered spreader problems and had to depower but still came in a close third behind Hellaby and Anchor. She won everything else- in the long distance 47 minutes ahead of second boat. Seems she rounded the weather mark in the close top group, then disappeared downwind. The long distance race was in heavy and dangerous conditions with much broaching, hard surfing (with Bullit actually planing continuously) and knockdowns. Bullit's mast started S bending on the hard, long beat from Channel Island to Tiritiri and Anchor Challenge passed her but only 200 metres ahead at dawn then Bullit carrying a strorm spinnaker did her disappearing act again. Roy Dickson said it was very sobering to see the boat sail through Anchor's lee and was half an hour ahead at the finish. Also not only had the Fauroux boat won with a damaged mast, she'd also dinged her side after falling off a wave. The crew were worried and whenever they began pulling away from the fleet, purposely slowed down to keep in touch, otherwise the winning margin would have been even greater.

Attached Files:

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Bullitman is right, the #F7891 Bullit won the Worlds in 1979. Check here: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q F Bullit Proto.htm

A new boat was done for '80. That boat was #F8051. I have not seen any mentions anywhere of the current location of #F8051.

The claim on the UK QT site that the same boat won both years is incorrect.

8. Bullitman

Bullitman Junior Member

That's great stuff fellas. Where did you get that report Gary? Fantastic. Those long inshore and offshore races back then must have really tested the boats, the rigs and indeed the crews. I will continue my quest to find F8051 and hope she is still giving great pleasure somewhere (and scaring the pants of her crew in 30 knots+). Thanks for the great info on '79 QTC Salkbj, 57 QT's would have been a sight to behold. Paul it's good to see the photos of '79 winner and the '80 winner together like that - thank you. Obviously Fauroux didn't radically change much other than extend the aft section significantly, but I wonder did he change hull material from Balsa sandwich ('79 winning bullit ) to something lighter. Do you think he could he have used Kevlar or similar at that time ?

9. Gary Baigent

Bullitman, Bruce Farr was suspicious of Bullit's rating figures - but Fauroux designed for 1980, cleaned up, then penalties were introduced to halt such a boat winning again (which actually failed because French designs continued to win in the following years). Eh, that report was taken from my Seaspray article way back in 1980. I heard that when she fell off a large wave and damaged her hull sides, the solid glass layup, not Kevlar, think it was S Glass, folded in, bent the alloy bunk reinforcing, which stayed bent and therefore the hull side didn't pop back - that is why the crew were understandably nervous. The wind at times in the long ocean race was way above 30 knots, over 50 in hard squalls if I remember correctly. If you want I can jpeg the whole SS article for you.

10. Bullitman

Bullitman Junior Member

Gary, would love to read your article. Please do send that on to me. I suppose if you put together the damage to the hull and the S shaped mast, you have to admire the guys for sticking up a small kite in conditions where they were shipping up to 50kn across the deck and what I'm sure must have been 3m+ seas. Tough guys - I guess having the designer and builder on board would have to give you an extra degree of confidence. I'm getting closer to tracking her down. Standby for a surprise.

11. booster

booster Senior Member

Salkbj et al!
    In San Remo -79 QT I sailed the only mast-head boat Butterfly by Norlin. Choppy seas and wind about 10 knots did not suit this boat which like long waves. The Fauroux design winner Bullit didn't seem that superior at the beginning but excelled as the series progressed. The Jezequel designs had sharp bows, especially Los Angeles, that worked well. Only at the end of one race, when the waves got longer, we show some speed. The Fontana-Maletto-Navone design Son of a Gun didn't seem that fast but was extremely well sailed. Hi Flyer by Davidson show roughly the same speed as we. Winning the HT the year before H Pedersen was one of the early favourites. The boat seemed small compared to other, especially the Jezequels. The Manzanitas were dissapointing. One of these had reduced the sail area and the displacement, it was the fastest of the Manzas.The Whiting design Captain Moonlight didn't shine, partially due to poor navigation in the short offshore race. So here I was sailing against boats designed by Davidson and Whiting but they had roughly the same speed as us in Buterfly. As shown by Gary b in his book The light Brigade the french designers had incorporated the best ideas from the NZ. This was evident in San Remo.
    Regards,
    Booster

12. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Booster, I have a Jezequel116 on the purchase shortlist. It is one of the Kevlar boats. Some of the veneer boats did go on being competitive throughout the 1/4-ton history. Could you please, if possible, further describe the characteristics of the Jez-boats. I'm particularly interested in the windward/leeward characteristics?
    I have a copy of the "Son of the Gun" IOR-cert. It sure is a BIG boat at 8570x2970 with a small FGO (385) and a LBG at 6818!. Would make a great IRC contender if found!

13. Gary Baigent

Bullit and 1980 QTC Seaspray article

Attached Files:

14. Gary Baigent

From Neptune Nautisme.

Attached Files:

15. Bullitman

Bullitman Junior Member

That's really cool Gary thank you. Great to read. What an event !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.