I'm Depressed

Discussion in 'Option One' started by SaltOntheBrain, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Option One was a lot of fun for a while, but it's been dead for too long!

We need to get a useful topic going on here so we can discuss it to death.

Any Ideas guys?

Lance.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Look at my gallery & the pictures of the model there needs some killing & should give you folk plenty to be abusive about:D

3. lalusiva

lalusiva Junior Member

can any one tell me the relation between vacuum drop and lenght of the part to be infused

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Quality suction, lots of threads covering that - search "infusion" on boatdesign forum...

5. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Pretty impressive boat, masalai. I do believe it may be larger than my house.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I bought a project tonight on eBay. Now I need to figure out how to turn it into a high-speed prop-driven pedal boat. I'm thinking a huge prop and the right gearing may do the trick.

Truth to tell, I thought this forum was only for the Option One project.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Salt started it in boredom? & I answered the cause??? Just trying to help out:D You can have it (the boat), My current interest is Bob Oram design 44-C , about the same size but far lighter... (My Lovely Lady sort of likes the Bob Oram - the main factor:D:D:D

7. SaltOntheBrain

I wasn't trying to hijack option one, I just wanted to see some life here.

Maybe something to get it going again, or possibly an Option Two thread. A super economical runabout along the lines of Bolger's Sneakeasy or Idaho.

With fuel prices still climbing, a long , thin comfortable runabout that sips fuel sounds attractive to me. I live in Texas, so navigating the length of our part of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway sounds like fun as long as I don't spend thousands on gas doing it.

24 feet long, 4 (maybe 5) feet wide. A 25 horse 4 stroke or maybe even a TLDI 40 or 50. 10 nmpg ought to be possible at planing speeds if the boat is kept simple and light.

How about a Lulworth Jr.? A half size (or 60% size) lightweight step-hydroplane runabout.

Anyone here ever play with building anything along these lines? I'd sure like to hear about it or just point me to a link where it's already been done.

Lance.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry for the mis-interpretation of your post - (not really - 'twas fun for a while)

Why not start with "a masalai model" and see if some folk would like to take on the Richard Chamberlin challenge http://www.icecat.com.au/trial.htm at the bottom of the page and http://www.icecat.com.au/summary.htm is what has to be bettered - at the bottom of the page again... I would like to add, a range of 2500 miles...

Can Yankee know-how do it or is the "petrol-head" syndrome going to get in the way of efficiency at 15 knots???

9. SaltOntheBrain

I like the ice cat, but isn't option one supposed to be trailerable? I'm 10 hours from the ocean, so that's a requirement fo me.

That's a lot of boat to be moving that fast on so little fuel. A boat like that will likely remain out of my price range until I retire, though.

I was thinking along the lines of something of modest size that I can afford to build and operate. (Yes, I'm aware that affordability is relative) Something easily trailerable so I don't have to have a one ton turbo diesel pickup to tow it. Something that doesn't look like a battleship in a bathtub if I put it in the average lake.

It wouldn't hurt if it looked sufficiently cool that the kids didn't mind being seen in it, and was fast enough to pull a tube, kneeboard, wakeboard or a skier. (even if it's just barely fast enough)

Lance.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

I don't know Lance, I have not read this area and it went dead & something new started so I thought I would pretend at being a magnet to see what happened... I will back out quietly if necessary..:D

There is a 12m version of Robin Chamberlins' design being built now.- - - I will endeavour to get some pics posted on this net - and a tentative price :D, but somewhere in the vicinity of Au$500,000.00 drive away:D

Think long term, and technology is changing rapidly, so your "smaller tow-able" may be a hinderance to convincing your partner to go bigger:D

11. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

While at first glance we may appear to be poles apart, perhaps in the interest of reviving this forum we can discover elements in common.

Masalai's beautiful and roomy boat could be down-sized to fit onto Salt's trailer. This would undoubtedly assist in fuel economy. Salt's 25-horse 4-stroke, if it indeed propels the boat with economy of 10 nmpg, makes us winners of the Icecat competition!

As for my interest, auxiliary pedal power should be a design element in order to put those active kids to work and further reduce fuel consumption.

Win-win-win.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

OK seek Ric Willoughby (in Melbourne) to help in working out weights, hull form and energy needs and you are both away and pleased... I will leave it to tinhorn & Salt to work it out? - - 24 ft that should turn into a 13 ft bean overall and hulls 1.4 ft beam ... remove the cabin top & use a collapsible "bimini", - tip the boat on an angle and it should fit on a modified trailer and be tow-able easily...

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Good on gas?

How about turning a catamaran into a Surface Effect Ship (SES)?

Best if done from scratch, but if it don't work, just tear off the skirt and you still have a boat.:D

http://www.connormarine.com/pages/9/page9.html?refresh=1111977204133
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. masalai

masalai masalai

George, sitting there for a couple of days... can't let you stay lonely, so How is it going? - - That baby looks a bit too big & thirsty for me....

I still root for Bill Barry-Cotter's "Maratimo" as a pure thrills toy to watch - I am a lot more sedate in my personal boat likes - Bob Oram 44 C with a hitch-hiker rig :D

15. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

And it's too big for Salt's trailer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.