old hydro-kart plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by racing fan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i have found a reference and a pic to a old really cool hydroplane
    known as the hydrokart i want to build it but it uses kart racing motors to go up to 50mph
    where can i get plans
    here is a link to the reference
    http://dngoodchild.com/5299.htm

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Glen-L still has a few of these class racers available. www.glen-L.com

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

On the link you supply, click on "home page", that's where you can get plans.

4. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

there are no hydrokarts on glen-I website and to my knowledge he has designed 4 hydroplane all of them lake racers not APBA spec ones
    he is a good designer but he dosen't get much into hydros

5. xj35s

xj35s Junior Member

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I am skeptical of the 50 MPH claim. A typical kart engine (claimed 5 HP) can be boosted to twice that output as the kart racers do. The down side is that a racing kart engine goes for 12 to 15 hundred dollars. In stock form the little flat head engine will not have the guts to do much more than plane the boat and not even close to 50.

8. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i know i feel the same way i have a couple hydros this is a bit lower quality than we race
    it said two (6.5)hp not 5 hp but
    replace 2 with 1 and make it a Briggs 20-25hp V-twin you got a fast little boat

or a 350cc air cooled scorpion snowmobile engine (38-40hp)

9. xj35s

xj35s Junior Member

I had a bone stock 17 HP Briggs on a small dynamark lawn mower. Originally designed for a 7HP. I had 3.5" pulleys on the engine and trans. it would pull wheelies in 2nd gear from an idle, just open the throttle and up it went. It would run 55MPH flat out on the road. Averaged 35 to 40 MPH on the dirt oval. weight without driver was 250lbs.

My cousin raced a bigger mower with an 18HP opposed Briggs. The dual exhaust had a very real V8 sound. I really like this idea. I had a mini max with a 9hp outboard that was crazy. We put a 15HP on it and it stood up. Could not keep the front down, didn't work well at all !!!

10. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

well the mini most is not a hydroplane it is a monoplane there different

11. xj35s

xj35s Junior Member

I know. I'm just making the point that too much engine can be a bad thing. I've seen hydros stand up, then sink....

12. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

me too thanks

13. xj35s

xj35s Junior Member

I know diesel engines are heavy. But that being said, they have enormous amounts of torque too. There are some single cylinder diesels that are very affordable and not much heavier than your typical Briggs. With this much torque I think you could get some good pitch in the props and really scoot.

The specs are here...
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=engines&keyword=NED1

Or maybe an old Harley Davidson v twin ? air cooled and wicked power to weight ratio...

14. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

but there is no rpm on one of those i could get a small 350 cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke and it weighs the same and a 5hp now a days is 148cc and add 1.5 hp you have 191 cc about for a 6.5hp motor add two of those up you have 382 cc total and a ton of weight so lower the cc's and use a 350cc motor high rpms and you still have more than 20ft pounds of torque total amount of torque 10 ft lbs each for a 6.5hp-grand total of 20 ft pounds of torque and way lower rpm 8000rpm compared to adding 1/4 the wight and only having 3600 rpm with the 6.5hp
    a small snowmobile motor is the way to go air cooled too
    you got to do a bit of math a diesel with 2800 rpm has about a third lees rpm of a small gas 4 stroke 6.5 hp and it has a bit more than a third more torque but it weighs more and not that easy to get parts for the small ones not impossible but not fun and a 350cc 2 stroke weighs less and has over double the rpm of the gas motor and less weight and more torque than 2 gas motors combine

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.