Final polish of mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gages, Apr 25, 2015.

1. gages

gages Junior Member

Im super excited , manufactured a plug out of foam made a great mould everything went well , sanded the mold surface down to 2000 grit and used 3m premium mold cutting compound and it's already looking a million $$$ but I don't have anything to do the final polish with..aaaahhhh...bad planning :(and I'm three days awy from suppliers ...is there anything I could use from an auto shop to get the shine up or do I just hold my enthusiasm and wait for the 3m finishing material ?

I'm planning on using a wax release system never PVA the mold if that helps

Will I wait or can I use something else

I have a Meguiars NXT tech wax that makes for a killer shine on the pulled part but not sure if too use it in a mould

Advice for an impatient glasses :)

Thanks

2. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

PVA is the barrier that prevents the epoxy from going thur the wax and sticking to your mold.

3. MrBaz

MrBaz New Member

I don't believe that is a carnuba-based wax. It might give you a pretty shine, but its durability isn't that great (my experience using it on car paint). You are going to want to stick to a hard carnuba-based wax. 7 applications should do it.

You might want to also use PVA as well since it is a virgin mold. There was an excellent write-up somewhere on here on how to apply PVA.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.