Old Boat related advertisements

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by viking north, Nov 18, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I have a small collection of old boating magazines and am totally fastinated by the number of builders/Designers/and engineering that appeared shortly after WW2.Thought I might pass it on to the younger members and welcome others to participate--
    This engine ad is from the magazine Motor Boating April 1946 --cost 40cents. This is got to be the most beautiful piece of engineering and art I've ever seen in a propulsion unit. I'm sorry but my lack of computer skills forces me to post the ad in miniture form requiring you to enlarge to view. Notice the add does not stipulate Diesel or gas and how close you have to look to determine what these engines are fueled on. Anyone ever see these engines in the real ?--Geo.

P.S. more to come from this poster over the next weeks, welcome all and any from other posters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Attached Files:

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That guy from Saco, Maine used to put these ads up in nearly every post. Anybody remember his screen name? Maybe Geo could search the forum by his user name to find, literally hundreds of these.

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

George,

I like a mystery. Drawing a blank on Google, I thought a look at a map of Lynch Cove might offer clues. Although things will have changed since 1946, there does not seem to be much industry around the harbour. There is only one boatyard. They might have serviced these engines.

Roudebush Yacht & Engine Works
    1915 Wills Road, Dundalk, MD 21222-5533, United States
    +1 410-285-8080 ‎

There were no results from a search on Uni-Twin on US patents, however a search for Flagship marine engines turned up two links.

"In 1957 the Owens Company discontinued manufacturing wooden boats of less than 20 feet and began to convert to fiberglass hulls. During this time their Baltimore facility could produce two 28-foot boats per day which cost $8,500 to $12,000 or three 35-foot boats per week with a price of $18,000 to $20,000 per boat. At this same time they were also building their own engines, known as Flagship Marine Engines. They were producing 500 Flagship engines per month for their complete line of boats, 18-foot outboards to 35-foot cruisers and runabouts. During its peak production years the Owens Company had 500 employees at their Baltimore plant.

By the 1960's the Owens brothers had retired and no longer took an active part in the business. The Owens Company became a division of the Brunswick Corporation---"

http://www.owensmarqueclub.com/history.htm

Meanwhile, down in Florida: "Flagship Marine Engine Company was purchased from Brunswick Corporation in 1964 by Tom Fileman. Since the purchase of the company we have built the OwensYacht and Flagship line of flywheel forward engines in a varity of sizes."

http://www.flagshipengine.com/

Your turn to continue the research. Send Flagship a email with a copy of the advert and they might help you with your question about fuel.

Regards,

Perry

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Michael--good one never heard of DBC, $20 for a canoe now you can't buy a salad for that.
    Catbuilder- knew some were poster in the past but thought it would be fun to do a little more-- especially that engine ad--just such a beautiful work of visual engineering more like something you'd see in an aircraft, like RR merlins or Allison.
    Pericles-- Good info-if you look carefully you can see the spark plugs and wires indicating they are gasoline. Definately flat head engines. It was not my intention to dig into these motors but just to show the beautiful workmanship, which has hints of aviation engineering.(common after the war, aircraft engines put to marine use). The present day Flagship engines look like all GM auto based V8's. I suspect, they bought the name only. Interesting also that Owens produced Flagship engines specifically for their own boats and went on to produce a 40ft. sailboat whose design was bought and continued to be built by Henry Hinkley. Wonder if this was the forerunner of Hinkily Yachts of today.(I did a bit of sailing on Windigo) I'll dig a little more into those engines and post later--now I have to get my *** out and install the hinges on the boat shed doors. No snow yet but the temeprature dropped to it's lowest thus far last night, 2 deg. C --Geo.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok Pericles tracked some info down--Long winding road but located 1940's 30 ft. Owen Sedan Cabin Cruiser -- Origional Engine -- On Free Boats search-- The engine, Hercules flat head six. In addition to Owens, Hericules also supplied name branded engines to Chris Craft back in those days. Magnifying the photo you can count the six spark plugs on the right engine. The article stating Owens built their own engines might be streatching the truth a little in that they assembled an outsourced engine labeled as their Flagship brand. Similar to modern Perkins and Volvo branded 3 cylinder diesels, the same engine built in Japan painted blue for Perkins and green for Volvo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

George,

Your mention of Volvo sparked a thought. A used five cylinder automotive diesel would work quite well. Being aluminium they'd be light; one in each catamaran hull? The D5244T is also offered as a marine engine by Volvo Penta under the name D3. The marinised engine is in large parts identical to D52244T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine

Regards,

Perry

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Always liked Volvo-owned two of their old autos until like all companies they got too computerized and expensive. They always had top notch marine engines and was the primary engine i used in my builds, but again becoming just too expensive. A 3cyl.diesel coupled to a 50 Hurth transmission cost in the order of $12,000 on the last build, just dam insane. Wonder what will happen to all those Volvo's now thw company has been bought out by Chinese interest, sad but not necessarly a bad thing. It's a world economy now, as they say merchants know no borders. Using Yanmar on this one, basically same HP, but some $2500 to $3000 less. I am also told worldwide parts availability is better. On another note volkswagen auto diesels are also a popular marine conversion. The king of backyard auto to marine set ups(inshore fishermen love them in their Novi's) here is the old 292 chev. 6 cylinder gas, in expensive, reliable and tough as nails.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Located this ad from the Rudder Magazine on the Owens Flagship engines which confirms the use of the Hercules --and put's it all to bed--Anyone else with an interesting old ad---??

Attached Files:

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Wow --Perry-- that will keep my brain busy and out of trouble --Good Stuff-- Thanks

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Keeping with the Owens theme, while well known for their power cruisers Owens also produced some beautiful sailing craft. Anyone reconize her as a Hinckley which she became after 1950 when Owens sold the design to Henry Hinckley and production was continued under the Hinckley name.

Attached Files:

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool thread, love the pictures.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

One of the great "ONES" Luders-- opened it's doors in 1908--closed them in 1968 -- 60yrs. as one of the finest builders in the U.S. Built extensively for the war effort. Possibly there is one or more forum members that actually worked with them.Tid Bit, Sea Owl shown in the ad was built for Carter Lupton--CEO of "White Owl Cigars" many here has either smoked one or given one out in celebration of a new baby.

Attached Files:

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thought I'd post this ad from Truscott Pleasure Craft, showing a unique furniture set up in the cabin that I think would be a fantastic multi purpose space saver for any small to medium power cruiser today.

Attached Files: