Old boat gel coat / hull condition

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Vulkyn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I am looking to put this old boat back in the water its been out for some time, the lower hull seemed to have flaked and is rough textured.

I am trying to avoid a costly full restoration, seems the worst i will get is higher fuel consumption but wanted to see if any one has some advice on using it as is or maybe working the hull in some way.

Appreciate the advice :)

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Hi Vulkyn, glad to see you are well. what is the size of this boat? Is it all wood? or ???
    thanks, Stan

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

At some time in the past it was painted, the flaking paint is a cosmetic issue, and may add a slight amount drag which will most likely be unnoticeable, other than that it's of no concern.

There could be other damage under the paint, or areas of glass worn thin that we can't see in the pics though.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's likely the hull wasso bad previously, that they just painted it. This fairly common with older 'glass boats. Knock off the loose paint, smmoth it out and repaint.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Hi Rasorinc :) thanks i am indeed still struggling to put a boat in the water :D

Its fiberglass an old 1993 Sewswirl 195 O/B.
    She is 6 meters (around 19.685 feet).

It's been left in the sun for 6-7 years though.

Hi Par,

So sand it down and re-paint, any recommendations on paint material ? Its gona be hard repainting it i would guess would have to go to a place that can lift it up (most of the lower hull is not accessible on trailer.)

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sanding by hand will wear out your elbows, but using conventional sanding equipment will gouge, and those marks will stand out like the proverbial when coated with a shiny gloss. You might be able to access that 3M Scotch mesh material ( Roloc ?) which is much kinder to the substrate.

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

OK so will keep the boat as is for now I have electricitical and mechanical priorities so will keep the hull for later (Sand, primer and then PU Paint maybe?).

I doubt the hull has water migration boat was mostly out of water

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Basically that is what I did on the deck of my 72 Sea Ray. Clean, sand lightly, prime and paint with a good Pu marine paint. I used Interlux Brightside. There are other brands. Stuffs expensive but lasts for a long time (been about 5 years now and it still looks good.)