Norewegian Multi hull designers

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by perry2222, Mar 20, 2022.

1. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

I have been trying to find information on a Norwegian catamaran designer - Ulv Tolsen. I have a catamaran designed by him - a TC 9.99. I think the third in a production line of 10, built by TRT boatyard in 1985. Not coming up with any useful information. I wonder if anyone is aware of this guy or maybe can refer me to any Norwegian/Scandinavian yacht forums/groups? I can't seem to find anything with my browser searches.

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Perry2222,
    I have sent your post to a well connected Norwegian marine family in Norway.
    Is it a power catamaran or sail?

3. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Sail. Image here at Horta

Attached Files:

4. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Sorry should have said thank you!

5. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Perry2222,

No joy, sorry.
    They are more commercially connected.
    Best of luck with your search.

BB

6. revintage

revintage Senior Member

7. Smj1

Smj1 Junior Member

8. Eric Mullink

Eric Mullink New Member

Hello,
    I’m the new owner of TC999 hull number 2. This boat used to belong to Ulf’s brother Arild. I just bought it in Norway from the designer’s niece. You must have bought your boat in the Azores from the previous dutch owner. I’m pretty sure your boat is hull number 1, the boat which belonged to the designer himself. In the link below are some pictures how the boat looked when the dutch owner bought it in Norway in 2006. I met Ulf last september in Frederikstad. Let me know if you want to chat further
    WillieBrordus: Het nieuwe bootproject (M) http://williebrordus.blogspot.com/2006/09/het-nieuwe-bootproject-m.html?m=1

9. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Hi Willie! You are right! Boat journeyed with the Dutch owner down to the Canaries and across to the US and wound up in Terciera in the Azores. I watched it for sale for some time as I was interested in it and then made the mistake of enquiring about it. And was made a very cheap offer. I have a friend on the island who is very knowledgeable who checked it out and I bought it. Just in time for Covid so that I couldnt get to it as I am an Australian living in Sydney. We were not allowed to leave the country for a few years.
    I spent nearly 3 months working on it Nov -Jan and am going back in two weeks time to finish it and move it over to Portugal. Its a very well built boat and ah me. Well It was pretty un-loved. The Dutchman tried to do everything himself and I know its very common to damn the P.O. but really in 10 weeks I couldn't find a job he'd done properly. So a lot of tidy up. I'm making some changes as well. Planning to split the tramp and use a ladder with a timber top to create a catwalk. The tramp is not in good condition. The A Frame is pretty awful and supposedly I have a new one waiting for me to install when I get back. HA Ha. Trying to get anything done on the island is like pulling teeth. Its a Mañana culture. I really want to have a couple of frames built over the cockpit to support a sailing awning, I have spent too long in the sun and have the skin to prove it. But my chances of getting this done on the the island are... slim.
    There is something I havent fully investigated yet and am a bit baffled by it. Its seems as if the hulls have some sort of an 'Air Gap' in the glass. Someone has tried to install an inside depth sounder and looks Asia it didnt work. I noticed when I was drilling into the hull in another place that I drilled through a layer and then there was a 'gap' before the second layer. Weird.
    I am about to find out (the boat has been on the hard for 3 years now and havent sailed it) but wondering how it will behave. Shorter boats tend to 'hobby horse' (rock front to back) a bit and I am very curious as to how this one sails.
    It has the original self tacking jib, but this was replaced in 2010 with a Genoa on a roller as the fwd sail. At the same time I believe the main was replaces with a 'fat head'. Dutchman lost the mast in the north sea (you can see where it hit the boat, stared side between the hatch and the solar panel as it was never repaired properly and is on the agenda for my return) and replaced it with what appears to have been a rotating mast but it no longer rotates. Oh yeah those solar panels I am in the process of repositioning. Putting three on the stern and one on the deck house. The running back stays replaces with a more conventional 3 point system (forestay and sweptback shrouds). I like the layout very much, particularly the pilot house/pod/dog house/gondola.
    I have some of the pics you sent me but would be very interested to see yours. You can get me at perrycas@gmail.com
    Don't know if you have these but I got some original drawings with the bits and pieces. You might like them. also the awful A frame !
    I put n a pic here of what I believe to be an escape hatch but theres so many bolts on it I cant imagine how you could kick it out. Is yours the same?
    Very interested to hear from you
    Perry

Boat plan #1.jpg
    Boat Plan 2.jpg
    A frame foredeck 00029 copy.JPG
    B Stern port 2.jpg
    E DOUBLE ESCAPE HATCH?.jpg

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Layer- gap- layer = foam sandwich

11. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

yeah thats the only real answer, but I did understand the hulls were solid GRP and the decking was sandwich. I am sure you're right.

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Production foam sandwich hulls are often solid below the waterline.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.