Project Sister 'Skiff

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by John Duncan Matheson, Aug 25, 2020.

1. John Duncan Matheson

John Duncan Matheson Junior Member

I'm gearing up to build a Skiff, [​IMG]

Which I will then build 5 more, sistered side by side which will then be launched as the base of a small boat-hire scheme operating from the shoreside of the Loch where I have lived all my life.

I will be recording the project and releasing it amongst a web-series.

I have released one video so far, advertising the project and as a foot in the door of exposure via kickstarter- through which I am aiming to attain the funds to purchase the outstanding materials for the build.
    Project Sister'Skiff: By Matheson Woodcraft. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wudftjohn/project-sisterskiff-by-matheson-woodcraft

watch this space, I'll be updating as frequently as my time allows.

brendan gardam likes this.
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. John Duncan Matheson

Hello Bajan, good question and excellent suggestion.

I'm familiar with Ian Oughtreds' designs. I was contacted by one of his co-designers on the chance of putting together one of his renowned kit boats last year, but alas. The customer was too far away from me and there where too many builders between us with lower mileage to and fro.

The designs are my own. So far the Sister Skiff is just a concept, I'm very much an organic builder with everything I make- plans change according to the shape of the grain.
    I was taught initially by Mark Stockl, the most technique shaping lesson I took from him was- 'if it looks wrong, it is wrong'
    This approach to building has left me creatively infinite, but without an immense knowledge of lofting. I can work from a plan, fine. But drawing one beyond concept would require me to study the artform again.

This is the first boat design I built, a couple years back.

[​IMG]

brendan gardam and bajansailor like this.
  4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Is there a functional reason for the wavy deck and combing, or just to be different?

5. John Duncan Matheson

Always, although being different is as good a reason as any in my books.

She's beamy, 7 ft wide and 14ft long. By lowering the sheer at her breadth, the length of Oars needed to move her can be much, much shorter. Meaning they can be stowed away in the bilges under the side thwarts.

I'm sure it will have other structural/ aerodynamic and wave clearing benefits but this was the necessity that birthed the creativity.

brendan gardam and Itchy One like this.
  6. Itchy One

Itchy One Junior Member

DCockey love the design. Great wood work, nice contrast between old and new. I'm wondering how it pulls through the water? I would love to see a profile picture. Good luck with your plan, it looks to be a great location, to rent boats to tourists.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Those tiny ribs, were they in a pliant state when fitted, like steamed ? Otherwise I would wonder whether the planking was holding the ribs in shape ! :D

8. John Duncan Matheson

Who said boats can't fly?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  9. John Duncan Matheson

Here she is more broadside, Itchyone.

I'm going to getting some footage together of her in the water, I'll keep you posted so you can see how she pulls.

Yes, Mr efficiency.
    The ribs were steamed in following the 'hull first, skeleton second' building practice of clinker boats.
    The planks hold the shape of the ribs as the ribs hold the shape of the planks, I a beautiful equilibrium that allows all components to flex.

The ribs where relatively heavy, in comparison to other boats the same size. If my memory serves I had then at 30mm x 25mm.
    But I agree, with her side decks and overall beam they look tiny. She's a little boat trying to be a ship.

Attached Files:

brendan gardam and bajansailor like this.
  10. John Duncan Matheson

We have finally released the video, showing the Kintail tender and discussing a little more in-depth the goal behind my crowdfunding projects.

11. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

John, the photos in your first and second posts are no longer there now - did you remove them?

Excellent film! Very evocative, makes me want to return to the Highlands to visit (I have been a couple of times in the past, 25 and 10 years ago, just on very brief whistlestop road trips though).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.