OK its got nothing to do with boating, lost dog

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well that was lovely, what was that you mentioned about eating cat crap.

but we did learn a new trick today
    Gizmo now knows how to get his teeth brushed
    three times in not so rapid succession
    he whimpered a little, turned his head away a lot but in the end resigned himself to the inevitable without to much of a fight.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The best and fastest way to get a dog to bond with you and accept his fate as your subornate, is to groom him. He's so small you have to bath him (no more then every other week), I shower my dogs. In fact, I built a 7' x 5' shower when we put on the addition, just so I had room to wash a big dog (we had a 180 pound St. Bernard then). Your little nipper will need his ears cleaned and brushing too.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

My Beagles are a hoot. When I bring them in and tote one into the bathroom, they both know what's about to happen. But instead of running and hiding, the one who isn't getting a bath hangs around outside the door, whining. And when I open the door, the one who was outside runs up to start touching noses in sympathy. Then I grab the second one, and start the show all over again.

Of course they've been together since they were little pups, and they're a hunting pair (or were, until one lost a leg to a sheepherder). They're about as bonded as any two dogs I've ever seen.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Dern them sheepherders. What did he do to your dog?

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Came across this today and it reminded me of this post.

http://www.pawnation.com/2011/09/20/weird-stuff-dogs-eat/?ncid=webmail3

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Smashed his upper front leg with a pipe or a staff. I didn't see it, but it's pretty obvious what happened: they went under the gate of the compressor station where I work after a rabbit, and chased it into a field of lambing ewes next door.

It couldn't have been a car. There wasn't a mark on the dog anywhere, but the bone was in splinters. My vet worked on him for two hours, and was crying when she gave up and called me to say the leg would have to come completely off.

He's built chunky for a purebred Beagle to begin with, and losing a leg slowed him down a whole lot more than it would a lighter dog. Every time he tries to go after a rabbit, I wind up hunting him down and carrying him back.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Sorry to hear someone pulled that **** on your dog Troy, and a Beagle at that, I think my temper might have "flaired" over that one.

well I still got a dog and at the moment he's flat on his back, legs going straight up with his head bent around sound asleep.

I fattened him up some although I was hoping for the opposite, and I got him a psycho dog jacket so he doesn't have to wait in the car when I eat out anymore. I think there's one more agency I gotta go through to get him the actual license but even without it no one questions him. Little spud has been perfectly behaved in every place I've taken him. Sits in his chair and goes to sleep. Doesn't make a peep till its time to wake him and get moving again. Only problem is he's a people magnet. Now some of them aren't so well behaved. Hot hot hot little spanish girl last night spilled her drink on him during dinner. He didn't even flinch and sat perfectly while I cleaned him up. Chick was seriously good looking tho ;-)

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

As much as it makes me want to go strangle someone, Boston, I can understand it happening. The guy most likely thought he was protecting his newborn lambs.

And I know there was a rabbit involved, because otherwise no one would have gotten close enough to hurt the dog; they're both extremely skittish around people. But when they jump a rabbit and start after it, it's the only thing there's room for in their thick little Beagle skulls...

Here's a photo of Lump and Baby Girl on a lazy afternoon, sacked out with one of their little buddies.
    [​IMG]

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Well, you could be out here with me. Lot's of Ignorant Ba.....ds that drop off Fido where he can run the country and fend for himself.

The lady I bought this place from, shot them and threw them over the bank towards the Creek out back. Coyotes singing almost every night till they finally ran outta Doggie chow.

I called Animal control. "If you catch and hold the animal, we'll come out"
    Great attitude eh? Once I caught a Bull. I wondered how long they'd wait to come after that big bugger?

We just drive the Dogs off. One week we had four. Mostly about one a month though.

I don't want to be mean, but they can be a serious threat. Especially if they Chase the Cats, go after the Chickens or just get too aggressive around the Kids.

You got lucky with a Keeper. We never get any good ones this far out. If they drove here from somewhere, they didn't want the dog and didn't want him coming back either.

10. hoytedow

That's a damned shame, Troy. I am glad he still has the spirit to try rabbiting.

Have you considered a new name, like Tripod?

Sorry, my sick sense of humor forced me to write that.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You're a little late. I've already heard most of the possibilities from my own family: Tripod, Hopalong Cassidy, etc.:)

But the old name still fits; he's even more of a Lump than he was before. If he puts on any more weight, he'll have to give up and scoot along on his nose.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahh the olde drink spilling trick, normally these chicks do this to cause attention to themselves and or put them in a situation to talk, probably to you--seeing as your dog dont talk,--it doesnt talk does it?

I knew a bloke with a talking dog but it kept telling lies so he got rid of it.

1 person likes this.
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Tried to give you some rep for that one, but apparently I haven't spread enough love lately.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Gizmo is now a registered service dog

Met the qualifications so why not. Now he doesn't have to stay in the car when I go to lunch

[​IMG]

15. hoytedow

What's his rank?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.