OK its got nothing to do with boating, lost dog

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That's pretty much the way I like my women . . .

2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Having a dog is good for the soul. They are a constant reminder to enjoy every day and enjoy every new experience.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hmmmm something strange about that dog.

He is a pup, he has not found out yet that he can control with fear, at the moment he has no intentions of trying to be in charge but will shortly.

It will be natural for him to become territorial and or the leader of the pack --even if the pack is just you.

Oh dear oh dear. it all going belly up,--like the photo.

Try to take away his food while hes eating it, if he lets you then you are still in charge, if he doe'snt then you will be the food shortly.

That was on dog whisperer last week.

4. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

If you like a laugh Google "Sir Les At Christmas" , he knows a bit about Schnausers

5. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Not at my house! Our 10month old Akita is just a bloody hooligan, a thief and a vandal. You cant leave anything you want in the yard, it will be destroyed by morning. My wife had all these figurines and ornaments around the yard, he picked everyone off them up and dropped them off a retaining wall, not one left now.
    I have my boat in the yard on its side roped down and supported, twice now he has chewed through the support ropes. Last straw is when he ate my auto darkening welding helmet, then he ate the trailer lights. Even destroyed some oil lids I was saving as replacements on the the drums.
    I have had dogs all my life, but nothing like this. Never mind he's part of the family, and I think he's just preparing me for when my children become teenagers, not to far away either.

6. PAR

Akitas are well known for their habits and a pup doing those things is fairly normal. The basic problem is lack of attention from the owner. A bored dog will dig, chew and destroy to entertain itself. The only solution is lots of attention and a strong willed master (they are quite stubborn, as you probably know). If you're not prepared for dogs with these personality types (large, aggressive, protective and territorial), then you're going to have a rough time with it. Akitas are also long in the puppy stage, typically taking two or more years before they calm down. Interestingly enough, when they do, it's like a switch, they just suddenly "grow up" and start acting like an adult. If these "issues" haven't been properly address by that time, it'll be a difficult dog to control.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sounds like a nightmare, you have a lot more patience than I do. I'm just glad this little guy is so amazingly well mannered

8. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

I must have been blessed with my last Akita, all I can say he was a Gentleman with etiquette straight from a pup, even to the point were he would look after his own toys, wasn't a digger or a hoodlum, vandal, thug. But there all different, I suppose that's what makes life interesting.

You get use to the nightmare, I had to change my habits and make sure anything of value stays out of his reach, sounds as thou I'm talking about a toddler?:rolleyes: Actual I swear I saw him on the TV at London riots beating up some little old lady:D
    Your pup looks like a beauty, If he/she is that well behaved it must of being trained by someone. I hope it all works out you two.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well thats what I would've thought but no ones stepped forward to claim him. But he doesn't seem to know the basics either, or at least not in a formal sense. Doesn't know sit or lie down but heals halts and follows really well, on or off the leash, with or without distractions, into buildings and back out despite everyone trying to catch his attention.

I guess I'm going to run one more series of adds and then just keep him. He's on the national lost and abandoned pet registry so he should be on every data base in the country, If someones looking for him, there not looking very hard. Which is really strange to a lot of people. I've made an appointment to get him evaluated by the service dog trainer thats best known in the area. I want an ADA all access certificate if I can get one ( I could probably just slap a badge on him and get away with it but I'd kinda like the real deal if I can ) I'm thinking once or twice a month he'd be perfect visiting patients at childrens or something like that. Dog is about as gentle and laid back as I've ever seen, and getting downright fat as well. I think its diet time for the little guy. He'd at least earn his own food if I can just get them to fast track us through the therapy dog program. Tuesday I should know more and hopefully walk out of there with an ID badge for him.

He's already been to most of the restaurants in the area, and he just curls up and waits perfectly in the chair next to mine or the bench, whatever. Gets tons of attention, to much actually. He's about the most innocuous animal I've ever met, doesn't beg, bark, whine, fidget, he's flawless so far. I think once the service dog people see him they'll give me the ID and see about getting him on with some visitations pretty quick.

cheers
    B

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A dogs bad behavior is nothing but an extension of the bad owner ,--nothing more nothing less.

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Boston,

"Diet" is what an animal eats. The other diet is a silly human thing that makes you loose muscle and then gain fat, which is very counter productive.

Get him on the correct "Diet" and simply monitor his weight monthly.

Congratulations on stumbling onto one of the best friends you're likely to ever have.

-Tom

12. PAR

Frosty is correct, dogs live for guidance from it's leader, which has to be established by the owner. Most don't establish this in their "pack" and the dog assumes it's got to be the leader and soon has you trained to accept their "traits".

I have large dogs, a couple are very stubborn and strong willed. The biggest one fortunately had the "want to please" personality I mentioned previously, so all I had to do was establish that I was alpha and he'd pretty much do anything I asked. Since he was a pup, I had to reinforce this with "constructive play" which simple means we would wrestle on the floor, which he loved, but then at some point I had to assert my pack status on him. I would pin him down, often with his throat in my mouth and I'd bite (lightly) until he'd submit to me. He did, usually quickly and at which point I immediately let him up and showed light affection. You don't have to actually bite the dog, you can just use your hand. You just force him down into a submissive posture, which typically would be on his side or back, exposing their belly, which is an area they guard as it's easily breached in a fight. The instant they submit, they'll relax and accept their fate. It's important to not drag this out, just let them up and pretend like nothing happened. It's not a behavior you reward.

This is dog behavior and perfectly normal. They do to each other and also to the humans they are around. Humping your leg isn't hornyness, but an act of dominance. They're saying "your mine *****" and you can't permit this or other issues come up.

Back to what I picked up on from Frosty, which is bad owners. Ignorance is just as destructive as being mean. Most folks with bad dogs are screwing up the way they handle them. The usual issues are rewarding them for bad behavior, because it's cute, such as when they hump your mother in law's leg or climb into your lap, maybe with their front legs on your chest and lick your face. You've just told the dog it's okay to dominate a human. Yelling at a fearful dog is a common problem, which just makes it worse. You have to desensitize a fearful dog, not scold it. There are many things people, most unwittingly, do to produce bad behavior in dogs.

Wild dogs live in an environment where stress doesn't come from within the pack, it comes from outside sources. They will find and seek a natural balance in their lives, even ejecting dogs with behavioral issues. Domestic dogs are the same, except we generally inject human traits onto them, which is the wrong approach.

Dan, learn about dog behavior and things will open up for you. They're easy to live with when they recognize the boundaries of their life with you. Learning how to show them these guide lines is easy, but not intuitive for most people. Reward and punishment works, but frankly it's cruel and completely unnecessary for most dogs. They'll eventually, do as you insist, for fear of the punishment, but they'll always hold you in contempt and never fully trust you. On the other hand, if you learn how to handle them the way the alpha dog does his pack, they'll walk through fire to save you if they have to. I've never had to beat any of my dogs, though they know when daddy's pissed, just by my voice and manor, likely my smell mostly.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

This little guy is doing great, since I take him with me pretty much every where I go he's really gotten to know the routine. Listens great, and although there is the occasional lapse of attention he snaps right back with a slightly stern voice. Not really any pretense of him challenging me yet but its bound to happen eventually.

I think he's beginning to get over what must have been a pretty scary experience of being lost, today we played on the floor for a while and for the first time since I found him he seemed really happy and playful like a normal dog. I've left him a few times and he does the funniest happy dance you ever saw, but this was different. We were just in from work and I thought I'd invite a little play once we got into the house. After a day of being constantly under command he really responded well to it. Though normally pretty sedate he bolted around the house jumping up and over stuff and then back like what you might expect from a "normal" smaller dog. Kinda nice to see him waking up a little.

Anyway he's a big hit and everyone's just stunned when I tell them I've only had him a few short weeks and I found him in the road. I fattened him up some so now he's on a diet and the vets kinda pissed I wont feed him the dog food they sell. He seems to really like the stuff I been making him but its been suggested that grains are not so good in a dogs diet. I might have to replace the rice with something else, not sure what though.

Anyway I don't think the dominance thing is going to be a problem. The little spud listens really well and responds to very mild correction when he goofs something up, which isn't that often. He's beginning to understand a release command ( OK go ahead ) when I want him to have some time off command but he's had trouble with the idea of his own time, might have something to do with his being lost and wanting to follow as closely as possible.

He's definitely the wants to please type, tries really hard to understand what I want of him. Sometimes he gets confused but he's quick to keep trying. Again I think not having a person for any length of time really freaked him out and he's thrilled to have one again.

14. PAR

Now that you and he are in a good mood, it's time someone mentioned an important issue; expressing your dog's anal glands. Your breed, like most small dogs, will need this regularly and it'll provide countless hours of enjoyment over the life span of your pup which is quite long fortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywTCnjKX4k&feature=player_detailpage

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

already had it done, but thanks for the tip. When I took him to the vet for his shots I got him the full ride which included checking the glands as well as clipping nails, checking ears teeth weight, you name it, he got the full treatment.

just got back from dinner with him and some friends and he sat in his chair for about three hours perfectly, didn't make a peep, didn't beg, bother anyone or fidget one bit. Cant wait to get him an ADA certificate so I can actually bring him in rather than just sit on the patio. Tuesday is the big day, I'm thinking I should be able to walk out of there with a registration number light a few bucks but with an all access dog.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.