OK its got nothing to do with boating, lost dog

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTS225

GTS225 Junior Member

Hmmmmm.....Sigmund Freud would say this speaks volumes about your character, Mr. Boston. ;)

Roger

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Did Freud say something about sneaking a peek?

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'd have to go with Carl Jung then cause Freud was kinda twisted. Deal is I took him to work with me in boulder and dam, Every screaming hot college girl up there wanted to stop and pet him.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's not unusual for a dog to refuse food and water in a new environment.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hmmmm
    could be that and its just the raw fresh meet is to good to pass up but so far he's turned down everything doglike and slammed raw meat at every chance

I just got back from making the local rounds, hit pretty much every bar in about a five or six block radius. No one seems to know this dog and no ones been looking, I've had no substantial responses from FB or Craigs list and the local vet didn't know him either.

I'd have never pictured myself with a Pekingese and I'm still not convinced I wont just give him to one of my friends who've expressed and interest but I gotta admit his "dogged" devotion and effort to "be good" is starting to get to me. Basically he's pretty dam appreciative.

I'll call the local grooming places tomorrow and c if any of them know this dog. He's freshly groomed, purple mohawk and all, which the vet said was actually illegal. Who'd have guessed.

6. PAR

Don't give the dog too much raw meat Dan. He doesn't know what's good for him, you're supposed to though. It's very unlikely that pocket pup was "raw fed" and though directly related to a wolf, it's digestion is based on what it's used to, not what's it's capable of. In other words, you could have a dog puking and crapping everywhere because of the sudden diet change, bacteria and other "issues". Also, no real bones, especially chicken. If the bones are raw, they may be pliable enough, but for small dogs the splinters may be still too large for their throat and/or digestive track, so it's best to avoid bones all together.

In short, unless you're willing to balance a raw meat diet, stick to processed dog foods or you can cause troubles for the little guy.

You're not a Pekingese guy, so find a good home for this little thing. I'm a large dog guy, but have to admit even the little ones can wear down your determination to not be a small dog person.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Thanks Paul, I don't know a thing about small dogs. I been giving him small amounts of raw meats these last few mornings, he's not having any digestive difficulties with it yet so fingers crossed. I took the raw bones out of it ( after I read your post ) but he didn't want those yesterday so add that to the list of stuff he won't eat.

contacted animal shelter and the humane society, as well as a no kill kennel and no ones reported him missing, which I find really strange. If no one steps forward by monday I'm just going to re home him with some friends. Hell I could hold a lottery so many people have said they'd take him.

Oh he does pee in the house. To bad cause other than that he's perfectly mannered I still haven't heard a bark out of him.

oh well thanks for the tips, I'v never even taken care of lost lap dog before

8. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Dogs are great :D

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

We got a Schnauzer who'd been living in a Motor home with some older folks.
    They stopped on the road, the dog went after a Rabbit and wouldnt come back. (She was a Stubborn little brute)
    I think that some guy probably had enough of chasing and calling....got back into the Motor Home and went on with life.

You may have inhearited a free spirit like ours!

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well he's still here, he's a little stubborn about coming if he's distracted. Seems to have a fascination with cats. I found the national registry for lost or abandoned pets and thought I'd get him on there. Also going to have a chip put in him so he can't get lost again. Or if he does he's got a way home. Speaking of home the little spuds contagious. Bree seems to like him ok but she's not a dog person. Although I think this little guy's making her think twice. He still has yet to bark so much as once. All in all he's about the most well behaved small dog I've ever seen. You can walk him no leash although I'm pretty sure he's clueless about cars, so gotta be careful about that.

I'm starting to consider keeping him but he's embarrassingly a girl dog all the way. Got an offer of a couple hundred bucks for him from a couple at the bar last night, which was kinda weird. Not for sale. Also got some pretty strange looks. Oh well well see if anyone steps forward this weekend. Its becoming easier to think of keeping him as he's absolutely no trouble at all. So far he's been 24/7 but eventually if no one claims him I'm going to have to get him a kennel.

Three days in and no accidents ( at least in this house ) yet. Although he did nail a couch over at the office. But the office managers dogs nail that same spot so that had a lot to do with it. Dam I'm making excuses for him already.

OH well thats the latest
    cheers
    B

oh and so far I've pretty much exhausted all avenues of finding his owners, I think my last efforts will be ( as suggested ) the local vets and groomers, he was freshly groomed when I found him. Even had his nails clipped. Although the vet suggested he wasn't groomed professionally. Oh and I reread all the suggestions, they only used one scanner on him for the chip but they had a bunch of settings on it and something tells me it was able to read a veriety of chips. I'll walk back over there and ask.

Ok just in from the vet and they triple checked him for a chip, no go.

National registry is done and a number of groomers in the area have been notified. Not sure what more I can do.

Oh and he prefers hot food

11. PAR

Extort him as a getting laid tool or find him a good home, with a possably previous one night stand. The longer you hang on to him the faster he'll weasel his way into your heart (you woosie) and make it imposable to give him up.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Hey now!
    If he's quick to chase Cats, you might have a Squirrl Dog there.
    That's how my Louisiana Reletives train the Squirrel dogs. Keep a bunch of Cats handy and get the dogs to run em' up a tree.

Try him out. You may have a dog that was part of a Pack, and never was a house pet.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

this guys got house pet stamped all over him, no way was this a stray. He doesn't chase cats he just seems to really like them, even if they don't really like him back. Then national lost and abandoned pets people say he was likely abandoned or dumped, apparently the economic times are causing a jump in this kind of thing. Odd tho cause this little guys perfectly mannered. I keep thinking someone's bound to be looking for him.

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have Obama send him some stimulus money.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I've also been told that he's mine at this point even if his owners did finally show up for him. Hmmmm, not sure I'd withhold him but I'm sure suspicious about whats taking them so long.

we figured out his names Gizmo or at least he definitely answers to it. I gotta admit he's starting to get to me. Fluffed up the shirt ( $60 shirt I might add ) I was wearing this evening and is presently using it as a pillow. He was a huge hit at the bar tonight and after a while I kinda had to get people to leave him alone after he started looking a little haggard. No one thinks I should give him up and again pretty much half the place offered to take him. Supper chill dog.

I really was not in the market for a dog. Bree approved if I do tho, so one hurdle down, now to see how he does if I leave him alone in the house.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.