OK its got nothing to do with boating, lost dog

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Dogs have all the personally trait, difficulties and differences people do. Yep, even schizophrenic ones. I have two dogs that can have their world rocked just with a loud voice. Junior will give himself time out if it happens. I have another that is as stubborn as they come, but all the dogs, each with their own separate issues and personalities, can be handled without a 2x4, though admittedly Ryley could use a swat between the ears on a daily basis. It's not his fault, he's a Dat (a dog raised with cats). He has no idea how to act like a dog and the other dogs resent him for his seemingly aloof behavior. He's a passive resister, which means he'll just sit or lie down if he doesn't want to do something he's been asked to do.

Overly sensitive personalities usually are also the ones that want to please, which is a pleasant dog to live with.

I really screwed with Junior's head for about a year (before I realized). I was shouting at the TV when Earnhardt Jr. would screw up or not make a pass or what ever. Of course I yell Junior you *** hole, or Junior, it's the big peddle on the right, etc. Not knowing that my Junior was cringing with each scream at the TV. He's still not over the nearly year long bashing I put him through, as he's one of those sensitive types, but will literally walk through fire if I asked.

Lastly some dogs like pain, much like my first wife. Both Junior and Indy will quiver and shake a leg if you swat them on the butt or head. The harder, the better they like it, which was much like my first wife. Also some dogs are much less repulsed to pain, like pits and rotties. I could cut a leg off Ziggy and he wouldn't ***** or moan at all. In fact last spring he tore one of the pads on his right hind foot nearly clean off, catching a Frisbee. Not a whimper, no limp, just blood all over the damn family room. Naturally, I didn't notice, because I was in the living room. The toe had to be amputated, but he didn't care. Probably could have done the surgery without pain killer.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I think this particular little guy is thrilled to please and pretty much hangs on my every word, much like Par I also had a girlfriend like that once. Not sure why I ditched her other than it drove me nuts eventually. The dog however I think I'll keep. Long story short I think we're building a nice healthy trust over here and hitting him wouldn't help it any. Something tells me he's had enough of that in life and just wants to get along. He's super gentle, unless he's scared then he just goes wide eyed and panic mode, probably bite first and ask questions later, his first inclination is to run but he's getting over that as well.

first time ever at the pub he got out of his chair today and was waiting by the bathroom door. I scolded him and he made a move to bolt. I told him no you get back in your chair where your supposed to be. You could just see the gears grinding in there, he was aiming for the hills but he switched directions, jumped back into his chair and I told him to stay. I'd taken his leash and collar off earlier and I put it back on him once he got in his chair. Left the room and came back at which point I good dogged him. did it a few more times. I'm positive he got the picture and he's learning he doesn't have to run.

He screws up every once in a while but dam with all the stuff I tell him to do in a day I'd say its less than 0.5% of the time. I'm just trying to be a consistent as possible with him at this point and it does seem to be making a difference.

Anyway I don't hold much to hitting an animal but I'll give you there are some real block heads in the pile and sometimes its just whats called for.

going to the used book store tomorrow and I'll try and find that book.

thanks for all the help and advice, anecdotal or direct its all very interesting. Also nice when I see it working.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you shouted get back in your chair --I suppose his English is coming along then.

Ceaser does not speak to them , he says they dont understand but they understand your feelings. and you have to be pack leader as a dog would, you should only good dog him when he is calm and submissive.

Actually its Wed night now and ceaser will be on tonight ille let you know if there is anything relative, hey you could right in to the show and I will be able to see you and your mut on telly.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Good one Boston.

Reminds me of a rescue call out I had once. Pager went off code two and we were tasked to a beach where a woman had thrown a ball for her lab and he couldn't find it! He'd been looking for 15 minutes in 9C water and she was growing concerned he'd drown trying. When we arrived 17 minutes later the dog was still at it after 32 minutes! Easiest rescue I ever did. As we approached the pooch in a 30 foot RIB, he swam to shore.

I'll bet they both slept well that night.

How is that little mutt of yours doing?

-Tom

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

he's on a diet. Got fat on what I made for him and now I've got to tweak that recipe a little, less rice more meat, less food overall. I've been just letting him eat what he wants but then he turned into a blimp. So now mean ole me has him on a diet. Hell I might even take him on a run. Although I suspect it will turn out more like dragging him along.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Well, just remember, "diet" is what an animal eats. It's us silly humans that like to make it mean fade of the month...

"A hungry animal is a healthy animal."

-Tom

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey folks, well its been a while and I've still got the little road warrior

[​IMG]

I never really paid much attention to other dogs but now that Gizmo's come hurtling back towards me a few times being chased by some big snarling dog, I've started paying attention to the dog stats a bit more. What I'm finding is some pretty frightening stuff.

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2011.pdf

I might have mentioned earlier that the owner of the warehouse where I'm at has three torn up pits he keeps in his building.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.