Ok I don't own it

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Boston, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Sorry one more thing

Google Earth is one helluva smart toy to have on board
    Especially around here where maps simply dont exist

America and Europe is well mapped with some smart stuff available from Raymarine and the others with chart plotters, but when it simply doesn't exist FREEEEEEE Google earth wins hands down :cool:

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

break away anchor is an awful way to deal with things. It's a lot cheaper to buy a snorkel, some fins and dive down to the damn thing, un-foul it then haul it up normally. - You're not doing that here. When the thing gets stuck, its when the current is ripping and the weather is coming up. I suspect that the advisor is more accustomed to anchoring in coral and such. When your anchor gets stuck in the basalt - it is STUCK. Using a Bruce - style shackled to the head and lashed to the shank is commonly done but it is difficult to have the right amount of lashings so that it holds except for when you want it to break. A trip line won't do anything but tangle and get in the way. The water is usually deep and rocky and the boat is swinging in wind and current. Tying to rocks and trees is the most secure. If you tie to two points, it can get crazy and I've seen boats roll over tied sideways to current (Alas, if the current only always flowed one way!). Get a 10 kilo Lewmar for everyday use. Have a 15 kilo for secure use. You can break the 10 with enuf sideways pull against rock. Getting directly over a very stuck anchor and letting the waves pull it out is a good way to rip the front off your boat or pull it under. This is only for mildly stuck anchors and heavily built (work) boats.
    Technically, it is verboten but everyone will love you for sharing the secure mooring if it's done well. You have to know where you are putting it. Some places, seasonal traffic will not know what it is (lost crab pot, sunken boat??) and pull it or move it. If it's not big enuf to hold a limit-seiner (or even two rafted) in a blow, they will hate you for putting it there - A barrel isn't big enuf and there is nothing worse than a secure mooring...that isn't. Here, ice will move it and make it a hazzard come spring. One doesn't have too much of that in SE, tho.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

All nice B,

but did you waste a thought on restoring the structure to keep all your nice supplements afloat?

You tend to put the cart before the horse.
    These plans might come up next autumn, when the hull ad deck is done.

Regards
    Richard

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya the hull is on the top of the list
    that and the fuel fill tube and some new mounts for the fuel tank
    hot water might be an easy run of coiled copper through the oven set below the boiling point :) hopefully

I need to look up the planking putty Par recommended and figure out what kind of anti-fouling paint to use, that and what kind of product I should use to caulk it with and if I need oakum fill or if I can just putty and caulk cedar, stuff swells right up once it hits water if I remember.

as I said I have to pull the bunks out of the back anyway to get at something (cant remember what at the moment) so I might as well reasemble it the way I want it
    I can carve out a pedestal in a day, once the blanks for the raised panels are ready for the shaping process.

and you are right there is a lot I'll learn next summer that will seriously effect my next group of modifications

I was thinking of making the back side of Bull Island about 17 miles out of Ketch my hang out when I'm just, well,
    hanging out.

I have found several lots on the island that are for sale. Who knows I might just snag a cabin site if things go well. there is a long slow gravel beach on one lot that I was kinda thinking I could build a boat ramp or even boat house on although the tides up there are so huge it might just not be possible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=bull+island+ketchikan+alaska&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Bull+Island,+Ketchikan,+AK&gl=us&ei=aeWUTMaFN4mBnweN0YWcCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

something tells me I'm not the only one who sees two nice protected places to drop anchor

I'm just trying to avoid paying dock fees if I can help it although hanging out on the dock with a little sign advertising tours might just pay for itself who knows

I kinda think the boat will sell itself to a certain degree

I just gotta figure out all the coast guard requirements for under six passengers. I know we discussed this briefly but I cant remember where

something about under six passengers and there really aren't to many requirements and the hand rail height is irrelevant. life preservers and a few fire extinguishers that would be required any way

that and I need to learn how to drive this thing

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Make a good safe boat and the "six-pac" thing takes care of itself. The thing needs to get rid of any Canadian-ness. Buy a junk boat for a dollar - say you rebuilt it into this cherry, I don't know but your competition will definately rat you out if it is at all Canadian. There is one way a vessel with a foreign owner history can be used in US trade and that is if the vessel were substantially rebuilt here after and it is open to the Commandant's discretion. This will be the last I mention it. Get your own CG license now, as well. You need 360 days on the ocean. You mentioned friends - There is a loophole that friends can now give you "gas money" and there are about no requirements beyond lifejackets, toilet and flares.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thats actually quite encouraging
    sounds like finding a fare is not an issue in those parts
    which is kinda what I gathered after checking the bookings on every charter in the area and finding them all booked well into next year

who is this Commandant and where do I get ahold of him

I'm about to do some "substantial" rebuilding
    I've got two estimates ranging in the 30 to 40k range
    sounds substantial enough for a boat thats only worth about 35 to 40 anyway
    I can get the seller to note it sold as salvage and not in operating condition without substantial repairs
    dam Mark your a gold mine thanks for the tip

ok I'll start working on the captains license

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

gotta admit I'm going to miss my friends here

here's a snippet of the conversation that popped up on my facebook page

My buddy Will is lightning fast ( when he's sober) I saw him take out an Olympic boxing medalist once at the club in about a split second flurry from hell.

my bet is trashed he pummeled someone once they got him outside and were dumb enough to let go of him
    I'd have sat on his *** till I at least had a clear path for running
    I bounce at that club from time to time and it helps if you know the customers
    my bet is Will busted his hand on some poor suckers face

anyway I hope they have some bars in Ketchikan cause I'm not planing on being a hermit just cause I'm in Alaska for the summers

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

B

Listen to Mark on AK anchoring.

I dunno about AK bays but when they logged the coastal BC areas,up till even the 50's they would dump old cables and such in the water.

So if you anchor there,you are running a high risk of losing it.
    One time I pulled up an ancient one lunger hit and miss engine.

I very rarely anchor in remote protected bays unless it's old growth,tie up instead with a careful eye for the tides.

FWIW from May to Sept there's anywhere from 1 to 5 cruise ships in there each day...throw a few ocean kayaks on board?

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm all ears at this point West

speaking of which I need to start these prerecs asap cause it looks like I need to get some form of license to do this

my bet is they're not going to let me slide much on that 360 days requirement which is the one that screws me up the most
    maybe I'll try that "for gas money" thing Mark mentioned

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"You may want to take this old gal for a short cruise first"

....Boston, this advice is the most significant of them all.........please do what PAR suggests, leave EVERYTHING anone till you have used the boat for a while, THINK TWICE REACT ONCE.....

....I would suggest that you let it go for at least a season on board, enjoy her for what she is....then see if changes are needed to the boat or simply to yourself.......

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, Congratulations.... Now things get serious, Have fun and enjoy the journey...

Holey SSsssss, - - - - 6 pages, that will teach me to get too engrossed in my project :D

12. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

Hi Boston,

I would like to make a couple of suggestions regarding the hull inspection and repairs you may be making. It seems in most of the wood boats I have looked at over the years frames, butt blocks and fasteners receive their fare share of attention. What seems to get missed are the floors, their attachments and keel bolts.

Floors or gussets need to be solidly attached to support the keel in the hull and may be fastened to frame ends at intervals. Floors will usually have keel bolts running down through them holding up the keel. The condition of keel boats should be proved to make sure they are not wasted to nothing unless you have some evidence of their replacement or withdrawal for inspection.

If you have reason to think keel bolts are suspect it can be an onerous or impossible job to replace them. You may be able to add additional bolts at intervals to reinforce what is already there. If the keel wood is in very good condition you may be able to accomplish this with hanger bolts versus drilling through.

On a different note have you considered a canvass and isinglass enclosure for the cockpit area? You won't save anything on windage but it would certainly be light weight. Roll it up when you want air in or for stretches of nice weather take it down. Canvass is available in lots of different colors that would meld well with what you have now cosmetically.

Bill G.

1 person likes this.
  13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hmmm

what I'm hearing from a lot of you guys is
    if it aint broke
    dont fix it

I have the list of repairs off the survey and keel bolts are good to go from what I can see

boat needs a few planks replaced and two stringers replaced, thing is to replace the stringers I'll end up removing a few more planks and installing them for the most part from the outside

that might just end up being a significant portion of the planking cause I expect these stringers to be the biggest pain in the *** on the list although those floors aft might be coming in a close second

but I'll cross that bridge when I get there and decide just how much planking to replace, I need to develop a maintenance schedule ( best guess ) and decide how often this thing needs to come out of the water

its needs a fuel tank fill tube replaced and a few floors replaced under the trunk cabin which is what requires me to remove the bunks anyway and get under the flooring, so how I put the aft cabin back together is kinda a wash when it comes to what you guys are suggesting other than a little wood work which is not much of an issue

you are right about the canvas enclosure and the boat comes with one actually its just not all that water proof from what I can see

[​IMG]

I'm going into one of the rainiest areas of the world so if I do what your suggesting ( and I just might ) then this thing needs to hold water, I'd likely add one to cover the aft deck

particularly the decks which I'm going to have to pay some attention to cause they are bound to leak like a sieve

although it doesn't say anything about the decks holding water or not in the survey or any of the repair estimates

repairs also list replacing the rubber mounting cushions from under the fuel tank so thats kinda a must do as well ( should be interesting )

then there is some electrical work that apparently needs to be done

at that its back together pretty much the way it was when it popped out of the yard and yes I could call it done and go for a cruise but

and this is the part were I think I start loosing folks

its up out of the water and I dont really want it up again till it needs new paint

so however it goes back into the drink is how it is for the next several years, question is do I want to camp out in what everyone pretty much describes as a cold damp unheated small box

answer is I probably wouldn't last long as building nice comfy homes has been my biz for a long time

so I'm thinkin for the cost of some ducting I can get heat into that aft cabin and have hot water for the cost of some tubing

basically I'll have a jacketed section of stove pipe and steal the heat off the exhaust gas from the stove and run a copper coil through the oven for hot water

there's a huge diesel stove in that thing

my bet is I could vent that heat off the stove pipe for maybe $750 and run that copper for half that, basically 1k would get me hot water and heat

seems like it would be worth it, hot water = shower on the aft deck, which might just be a bit romantic for some of you old farts, but that amazingly sexy girl will want me to "help", show her how this shower contraption thingy works. Starts with getting naked love and then you pull on this like.......

so the shower is actually not such a huge deal now that I have thought of where its going

I would need a larger water reserve though if I go with the on deck sun shower plan but thats another bridge I'll cross once I get a closer look at this thing

at that point I could stop the remodeling and call it at least maybe livable and have pretty much done exactly what you guys are suggesting except for the hot water and heat part

but there is a hitch
    no holding tank for the head
    means in port no using the head
    hell it might even preclude me taking on paying passengers I dont know but eventually something will need to be done with that issue

course Mark nailed it when he pointed out that it takes at least a year to get a captains license and according to what I've learned so far I wont be taking on paying customers without that license

so the boat does not pay for itself anytime soon which is kinda dam disappointing

I might just store the ***** till I get a license who knows ( I wonder if they count hook time, they did for that one guy

I could stick it out for a year on board if thats the case and by the end either run screaming or start taking people out
    its a toss up

deal is if I'm successful doing day trips I'd just get a room in town and maintain a shop for all my stuff.

hmmmm

ok

I leave off rebuilding the aft cabin and just add the hot water and heat, change the aft cabin arrangement but not its dimensions

seem like the best plan to take and its most of what you guys are suggesting

any ideas on that holding tank for the head
    is that going to screw up my plan to take folks out on this thing

thanks for listening
    B

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

You better check the laws and get that issue cleared up.

A friend was in AK this summer and the CG was all checking his tanks and valves,and didn't appreciate him asking why cruise ships rarely get inspected.

Its screwed up the cruise ships dump their sewage and wastewater overboard,pay a few fines and that's the end of it....

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.