Ok I don't own it

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Boston, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

speaking of barn you got one large enough for this boat and my tools :)

I found tons of dirt in Washington for about 4k an acre

it will be cheaper in the long run to just buy a piece of land and trailer the boat to it each year than to pay 2400 a shot every two years to park it while I do basic maintenance
    I'd put up a pole barn and just work on her at my own property
    four years later its paying for itself and I could rent out storage space while I'm away

now to find cheap dirt as close to the highway as possible and check the local ordinances on boats

I need to think this through for the long term cause if I buy another one I will want a place to put it and I'm not going to be 24/7 on the water anyway
    could be a nice winter home for me.

2. wardd

wardd Senior Member

find something along a river

i have a storage space in one that is 10 - 12 feet wide by about 100 feet long, 20 foot high door

another space that is about 30 foot wide by 60 to 70 feet

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

were are you and whats it cost
    your storage space is a bit thin for my needs

I did find a 1/4 acre lot dirt cheap in grays harbor area

Ive contacted them concerning zoning and land use

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

in NJ

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well thats a big help ;-)

the place on grays harbor sounds to good to be true
    so it probably isn't but I'll still wait to hear from them

I think I could skirt around to the inside of Vancouver island if I waited for good weather and be off to Ketchikan in no time

its just that now I have to figure in a erecting a storage barn that is secure enough I can leave the boat in there for a while

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

look into a used quonset hut

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

eh I'd rather find farm somewhere where they will let me park it

still looking

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no that helps a lot actually
    I was planing on building something at this point although I shouldn't give up looking to rent after only one day of looking
    if I do build something it would likely be a cheap temporary structure I could take down and store just as the one depicted. My tool shed would end up being a concrete bunker
    but for the time I have the boat up on land I'd be under something like what you suggest

thanks for the tip
    B

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok I found some dirt cheap out by grays harbor, not sure if I can skirt around the coast to the inside of Vancouver island but its cheap its right on the water and once I check with the building dep I'll know if I can build a barn there or not

11. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I'm building a bow shed Boston. You can't go much cheaper than that. At 20' x 32' I'll have about $1300 (Cdn) into it including the equipment to shrink the shrink wrap.

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Is it possible to share any data regarding the build? I am planning on building my workshop as well and any idea's would be great :D

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

Bos, If you keep it in WA, make sure to keep it in a building with no windows - The tax assessor there will want Washington State property tax unless you PROVE every step of the way you are working on it to leave WA and have no intent of leaving it there when it it is done. That place is my old stompin' ground - Where's the boat now? Seattle isn't the wooden boat mecca for parts and lumber it once was - May I reccommend Allyn, Wa, or Port Townsend for sourcing parts (It's wet and mighty pricy property in that area tho).
    This guy (in Allyn) could be invaluable to you with every aspect of a boat like that - including lumber sources.
    http://www.grapeviewpointboatworks.com/index.html

I know him personally and know his work - At some point go have a cup of coffee with him, at least.

1 person likes this.
  14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well at the moment I'm looking for somewhere to keep this beast till I can get to it
    I'm looking at the grays harbor area and I have a 1/4 acre lot picked out in my price range
    I need to check the local ordinances and see about storing a boat on the property in a shed

its right by the water although I'm not sure if I can launch there and expect to get around the point to the inside of Vancouver island

I need to work out some details while I finalize this thing and the insurance guy wants pictures with dates on em

ugh the pressure

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

so I'm thinkin water taxi service out of Ketchikan for this next summer

any thoughts folks cause it would be kinda nice if I found a way to earn gas money while I'm up there in the area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.